Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,809 Posts
Hi can you please answer as many of the below questions as possible as they will help members to advice the best treatment.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

· Registered
1,809 Posts
The bulge is his tummy and he looks to be bloated, he is likely a bit constipated. The pellets you are feeding are not of a good quality. The two most recommended here are new life spectrum betta pellets. And the omega one betta buffet pellets.

Although at the moment you are best not to feed him for a few days and then you might want to try and get him some frozen daphnia from a actual freezer. Daphnia acts as a laxative for betta's so if he is a bit constipated that should help get things moving for him. :)

Also if your boy suffers a bit with constipation you can also pre soak the pellets for a minute, in a small amount of water in a cup before feeding. That will soften them up for him. Also when you feed frozen you do the same thing as the pellets and just defrost it in a small amount of water before feeding.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
I don't think we can get the omega one foods here, I have never seen it. You will be able to get the New life spectrum Betta pellets or the one Lilnaugrim is recommending. I personally use the NLS betta pellets. From those last pictures he does look quite pineconed. With your boys age there may not be an awful lot you can do for him. Better water conditions will help him whatever happens.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
normally about 3 years, although there are a few that have had some for as long as 5 years. another thing to keep in mind is that most store bought betta's will already be at least 6 months old some around 9 months old.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
not the toilet, Lilnuagrim will be able to advise on that. I think it involves clove oil and ice water. Or if he isn't looking to be suffering leave him be and let him go naturally.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
White or gold, cloud minnows are a small fish that you could get away with without a heater. Although they are a shoaling fish so you would want at least two. You would need to have a 2 gallon for that minimum, they are fairly easy to feed only needing a very small amount of flake food. They only grow to around 4 cm max. I would recommend a small filter. But with regular water changes and the use of prime you may be alright without a filter.
They also come in a longer fin types as well.

However if you really don't want maintenance in a weekly form at least, then perhaps you should look at a glass floating fish that is just for decoration, and needs no maintenance at all.

· Registered
1,809 Posts

· Registered
1,809 Posts
I am in Australia and I don't think there are many places here that would be able to support a betta properly in the winter time temperature wise. I am in QLD which is one of the warmer states and we are now in autumn will be winter soon and already the heater is coming on, the house temperature is dropping down to about 69F now. The only real places that a heater wouldn't be needed is the northern area's and states. area's such as Cairns (Great barrier reef area).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.