Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new betta yesterday, was not planning on it but my mom was with me at a pet store we were checking out and noticed this guy. He was on the top shelf with the more expensive bettas marked $14.99 and $25.99 but he had no price. He looked a lot more exotic than the others, so we asked how much he was. Despite asking several times, the guy insisted he was only $2.99 like the veiltails on the bottom shelf. I am wondering if there is a name for this color pattern and if he is a rare find or not? I don't really care, I pick them because I like them, but I was just curious. I look at Aquabid all the time just to see what kind of bettas exist but I haven't seen a betta this cool looking except online.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
He is absolutely gorgeous!! I believe he would be classified as a fancy marble! Great find!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, people! As I said, I am new to betta keeping, but I thought if a halfmoon double tail and a delta tail were marked more expensive then the veiltails, this guy would be more expensive too. Well. . . that was my first trip to a fish store in my new town that wasn't Petco or Petsmart, so it was interesting to see what they had. I think half the fun is "hunting" for a betta that calls your name. :)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
He is beautiful! I am so jealous! I love marbles and he is just beautiful!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
'fancy' is just a fancy term for 'marble'. xD i'd say marble CT. beautiful boy! *o* i wish i could keep CTs, but the water here is too hard, and their rays curl or melt off. :I

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Fancy is a bit different from marbles (the words from Mr.V) i forgot what makes the differences but it is one or the other :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
He's breathtaking! That's a 4 ray CT right there, gorgeous! :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel pretty stupid but I don't even know what a "4 ray" is.

To the person who said hard water is bad for the CT, I will definitely work on that because where I live we have very hard water also. I just got some peat granules for my filters and added driftwood to the tanks today - I hope that will make some difference.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Haha it's okay! I've been learning and researching all about bettas for a year and a half now, that's how I know! Okay to help you out, you see how the spiky parts of his tail split first in 2 parts and then into 4 parts? That means he is a 4 ray. Some are just single ray, where the spiky part is just straight, or double ray, where the spiky part splits just once. But yours is "rarer" haha! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for lesson in crowntail lingo! :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
*Gasp* Amazing fish!!!:shock2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts