Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jet has had a small lump on one side of his body for a few months. It didn't seem to bother him or affect his appetite or energy, so I assumed it was nothing to be concerned about and figured he might just be eating too much. Recently, it has become much larger and he is lethargic. The last betta of mine to pass away had a similar problem; he had a lump on one side but it was smaller. I am concerned that Jet could be suffering from the same thing. Any help or advice is appreciated with regard to what this lump could be, how I can treat him amd make him more comfortable.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 ? (It's a Fluval Spec III)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Betta Buffet Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2-3 pellets 2x a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30-40%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

*I am attaching pictures of the readings I got from the tests because the results aren't clear-cut*

Ammonia: 0 ppm (?)
Nitrite: 0 ppm (?)
Nitrate: 15 ppm (?)
pH: (High-range) - 8.2
Hardness (GH): N/a
Alkalinity (KH): N/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few months ago, the lump/ swelling was mild and his behavior had not changed so I wasn't concerned
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The swelling/ lump has become much larger. His fins also seem tattered
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He seems lethargic and often wedges himself between the stems of the plants or lays on his side on the bottom of the tank.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, he still has a normal appetite
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Other than the lump, no
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He had almost no fins when I brought him home - I believe he bit them off from stress, but they grew completely back after I rescued him.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know what could be causing this or how I could help him...? I was thinking of doing an ES bath but I wasn't sure if that's the best course of action.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Your nitrates seem a little high. They should be more around 0-10ppm max. From the pictures it appears that he has a tumor. There isn't much you can do about it besides make him comfortable. I also have a boy with similar conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would an epsom salt treatment attempting to reduce the swelling be harmful to him, even if it is a tumor?

Also, is there a way to tell whether it's from parasites or SBD? Just trying to narrow down the possibilities

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
It looks to be either a cyst or a tumor.
If it looks to be fluid filled, epsom salt bath can help him out but if it is a solid mass, there's probably nothing you can do outside of the longshot of finding a vet that can remove it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts