Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi!
Can you fill in the answers to this form? It will help members give you better replies;

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not knowing your parameters or feeding schedule, I would suggest watching for a bowel movement over the next day or two. See if the size decreases once he poops and maybe withhold food. Otherwise, this lump looks similar to an issue I had in a previous betta that ending up being a kidney cyst/tumor that ruptured. The location does not suggest bloating or constipation to me but I could very well be wrong. Unfortunately, for fish tumors that are internal, you can't do much without a hefty price tag to decrease the size. If it was external you could remove it carefully or have a specialty vet remove it.

For now, try withholding food to see if it decreases as he digests his food. A betta's stomach is small and bloats easily. If a few days pass without changing its possible he has a tumor and all you can do is keep him comfy. He can still live a good long while as long as the tumor is beign and not in the way of his gills or organs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not knowing your parameters or feeding schedule, I would suggest watching for a bowel movement over the next day or two. See if the size decreases once he poops and maybe withhold food. Otherwise, this lump looks similar to an issue I had in a previous betta that ending up being a kidney cyst/tumor that ruptured. The location does not suggest bloating or constipation to me but I could very well be wrong. Unfortunately, for fish tumors that are internal, you can't do much without a hefty price tag to decrease the size. If it was external you could remove it carefully or have a specialty vet remove it.

For now, try withholding food to see if it decreases as he digests his food. A betta's stomach is small and bloats easily. If a few days pass without changing its possible he has a tumor and all you can do is keep him comfy. He can still live a good long while as long as the tumor is beign and not in the way of his gills or organs.
Hi, thank you so much for responding. I just fasted him for 3 days and it's still there. I really do think it is a cyst/tumor. He's had it for several months and I've been in panick mode about it. Although he lays on his side, he is responsive and does swim up to eat. I just wish it would go away. I've had him over 2 years and hate to see him not swim around like he used to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, thank you so much for responding. I just fasted him for 3 days and it's still there. I really do think it is a cyst/tumor. He's had it for several months and I've been in panick mode about it. Although he lays on his side, he is responsive and does swim up to eat. I just wish it would go away. I've had him over 2 years and hate to see him not swim around like he used to.
I would say as love as he is responsive, not struggling too much to move, and still eagerly eating you can argue his quality of life is good. My mom's betta was a trooper until he naturally passed but boy it was hard to watch. She was unwilling to make the end of life decision once the tumor stopped him from being able to flare or sit comfortably on his plant any longer. The best I can tell you is to spoil your little boy while you can: bloodworms, daphnia, indian almond leaves, a new hide or plant. He's lived two years so far, he might pull out another 2 with the tumor, you never know. However, I would strongly advise you buy a vial of pure clove oil. It is the most humane way to let him pass if he is no longer responsive, eating, or active.

I wish you and him a many happy months ahead!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say as love as he is responsive, not struggling too much to move, and still eagerly eating you can argue his quality of life is good. My mom's betta was a trooper until he naturally passed but boy it was hard to watch. She was unwilling to make the end of life decision once the tumor stopped him from being able to flare or sit comfortably on his plant any longer. The best I can tell you is to spoil your little boy while you can: bloodworms, daphnia, indian almond leaves, a new hide or plant. He's lived two years so far, he might pull out another 2 with the tumor, you never know. However, I would strongly advise you buy a vial of pure clove oil. It is the most humane way to let him pass if he is no longer responsive, eating, or active.

Awww thank you so much. I never heard of

Maybe I should be making that decision too. Watching him not swim around makes me think I should do it, but he still comes up for food, so I just don't want to give up on him. I will order the clove oil, even though the thought of using it is heartbreaking. I never heard of Indian Almond leaves, but will try to find some.Thanks for all your advice and kind words.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts