Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He hasn’t eaten in over a week. Won’t go to the surface at all just rest at the bottom. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
looks to be some sort of tumor. I'm going to tag people that are more knowledgeable. @KekeTheBettaDoc @Veloran

In the meantime could you fill out this form? it gives us a good idea of your setup.

As far as not eating, you could try soaking his food in garlic juice, sometimes that can add palatability.

·
Super Moderator
2,747 Posts
Start with a 50% water change, but beyond that we cannot make an assessment until we have more information like the questions asked in the form linked in the previous post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the parameters:
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Beta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily 3-4 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of water did you change? 25-100 percent depending on if it was having issues.
What is the source of your water? Filtered tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I removed and rinsed it
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Quick start, ph down, all api brand

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: o
Nitrate: 40
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): unknown
Alkalinity (KH): unknown

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A couple months ago but they have slowly gotten worse.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Not much other than the lump
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes very lethargic. Doesn’t eat or swim anymore. Just sits at the bottom.
Is your Betta still eating? No for nearly 2 weeks
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, it sure what to do.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Little over a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
173 Posts
You need to get your betta eating ASAP. bettas can only survive without food for about 2 weeks, so he is on the brink of starvation. You can soak your pellets in garlic juice like Nova betta said or get him some frozen foods such as bloodworms or brine shrimp. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is just no interest in eating from him... any other ideas for force him to eat?
You need to get your betta eating ASAP. bettas can only survive without food for about 2 weeks, so he is on the brink of starvation. You can soak your pellets in garlic juice like Nova betta said or get him some frozen foods such as bloodworms or brine shrimp. I wish you luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,747 Posts
Hi, let's start him on some methylene blue.
I'd prefer to see him in a bath (leave him in for an extended period) but it requires resources so you could also do a dip. Both instructions are pasted below (credit Spruce Pets for the instructions).
This needs to be done in a container other than the aquarium as it will stain the silicone.

I also recommend that you use conditioned tap water. Unless there's a specific reason you cannot use water from your tap, you should do so and use a water conditioner, Seachem Prime is recommended.

Use as a Bath
  1. Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
  2. Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
  3. Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment.

Use as a Dip
  1. Prepare a nonmetallic container of sufficient size to contain the fish to be treated by adding water similar to the original aquarium.
  2. Add 5 teaspoons (24.65 ml) per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm. It is not recommended that the concentration is increased beyond 50 ppm.
  3. Place fishes to be treated in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
  4. Return fish to the original aquarium.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts