Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently noticed my betta fish, Watermelon, has 3-4 particular lumps on his side. I noticed a while ago that he had one lump so I tried to use APII's Betta Fix to see if it would help but it didn't do anything. I've been doing a little research and I'm scared he might have tumors. Hes eating normally, he's active as always making bubble nests and gets excited when I see him. I've have 7 betta fish (and have had more) and I have never seen something like this! I thought maybe it was because of constipation so I gave him a little pea and went a day without feeding him, and while he looked a lot less bloated the lumps never shrunk. It almost looks like his scales are kind of 'melting'? He is a dragonscale halfmoon betta.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal.
What temperature is your tank? about 76-78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? no, but i just ordered one (and will update weather it makes a difference)
Is your tank heated? i dont have a heater but i keep the room rather warm
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? regular betta pellets and sometimes dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once to twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every two weeks; do a whole water change after about a month and a half
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, but I use spring water on all my fish with a little dash of the water conditioner.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large whitish lumps on the side
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no he's still active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, besides relieving him of constipation and attempting to give him betta fix which only really helped with his little bit of fin rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? he is about 8 months old

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yes you are but give it some time first lol. We can't answer every single thread immediately unfortunately but we do try!

He's got cysts, they may kill him eventually or they may just fall off when they get too big and grow another one in the same spot. There is no cure for them, so you just have to let them go their course.

However, you do need to do a water change on the 2.5 weekly unless fully planted tank, to keep him healthy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you are but give it some time first lol. We can't answer every single thread immediately unfortunately but we do try!

He's got cysts, they may kill him eventually or they may just fall off when they get too big and grow another one in the same spot. There is no cure for them, so you just have to let them go their course.

However, you do need to do a water change on the 2.5 weekly unless fully planted tank, to keep him healthy.
Thank you I appreciate your post :( And I will change it too weekly see if that helps any. Are there reasons cysts form on fish? or is it random?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's generally hereditary, I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not but I find that it happens or at least more people talk about it happening to their dragonscale fish. I had one myself who just passed after having the cyst grow for approximately six months before he gave up. It's not catchy or anything so your other fish are safe from him is all, they could have them too for all you'd know, just depends on their genes.

Also tumors are different from cysts just so you know, these are cysts not tumors :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That gives me a little peace of mind that they aren't tumors! I hope they do fall off, maybe once i get the filter and do more frequent water changes that itll help them heal. Thank you so much again for your input!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
They'll never actually heal, the cyst will grow and grow and either injure the fish enough to kill them or if it does happen to fall off the open wound can kill them. I've personally never seen a fish survive passed a week after a cyst falls off. it's pretty much a death sentence I'm sorry to say. If it does fall off and he doesn't die, you can quarantine him and use 1 teaspoon per gallon of Aquarium salt to dissolve it add to his tank to sterilize the wound but the cyst will just grow back if it didn't kill him in the first place :-/

At the size of his cysts now, he still has a good 4-6 months left in him, possible more too depending on how fast they grow. Some cysts will grow fast while others will grow slower but it's nothing we can help with.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh then that's not good at all.. :( I will have to make sure he is at the most comfort at all times... My poor little Watermelon...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
+1 Lil.
I too have a boy with this kind of cyst. Just have to do the best you can for him and keep him comfortable. I put some IAL in his tank which seems to help make him more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
aww I hope your boys cyst falls off. =(

My poor little boy Tuna has lymphocystis and he is going through a tough time with the large lump on his tail. He cannot swim real well and has trouble going up for air. just giving you a heads up on what can happen if keeps growing.

it started like this:

to this:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Has anyone tried to do surgery on this? I know it might be too expensive for a normal fish, but if it is a loved pet?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's possible if it is not near important organs, however it is extremely risky on these small fish. It's much easier to do on larger fish like Angels and Oscars but anything smaller than four inches is generally very difficult to do any surgery on. On tumors it's a little easier because you draw out the liquid from the tumor unless it's a fatty tumor, cysts can be cut off but the fish has to be properly sedated. It's not recommended though unless you are a trained vet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks lil!
Maybe I should do a fish surgery course....;-)
I have seen some surgery on Koi- but they are worth quite a lot.
Most exciting was an eye surgery (!!!) in a koi.... you don't see that every day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts