Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Petco today and there was a gorgeous purple betta, I just had to take him home with me. However, when I got him home, I realized that he was lying on his side in the cup and gasping for air. I'm not sure if he was like this in the store as well and by picking up his cup he swam a bit...but I feel SO bad for him.

He is now in a 5 gallon by himself, lights off and it's heated to 78 degrees. I shut off the filter because that would be too much for him. For about 4 hours now he's just been at the bottom of the tank on his side, gasping for air (I've seen him swim up to the surface a couple times). It breaks my heart. :cry:

Can anyone suggest anything for him? Or should I just leave him be and see if he improves?...though I doubt it. Please help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I added an air stone now because after reading a few threads, I think he may have ammonia poisoning from the cup he was kept in. Poor boy! I hope his new clean home and the air stone help.

Can anyone suggest anything else? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I would bet he has ammonia poisoning. It damages their gills, and makes it hard for them to breathe.

If he's struggling to get to the surface, lowering the water will help. Keep is water CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and keep him warm :)

If he doesn't perk up in a few days, then you can start to worry :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would bet he has ammonia poisoning. It damages their gills, and makes it hard for them to breathe.

If he's struggling to get to the surface, lowering the water will help. Keep is water CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and keep him warm :)

If he doesn't perk up in a few days, then you can start to worry :)
Thank you very much for your reply! I will definitely keep the water clean and warm and keep an eye on him. ^_^

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can try a methylene blue bath for ammonia poisoning! Here's an article with details on using baths: http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

If that doesn't help and he doesn't bounce back soon I'd suggest treating with antibiotics for gill disease but I'm hoping it is just ammonia poisoning. The airstone was a great idea and I wholeheartedly agree with haveyouhadyourteayet about lowering the water level.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the reply!

He seems to have really improved since I got him on Friday. He's not gasping for air like he was and I've seen him move around some. He's still taking it easy though and resting a lot, but I figure that's pretty normal. I'm continuing to keep an eye on him and hope he bounces back to normal soon!

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts