Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been dealing with this problem on my betta, Arty, for the past couple months. Please reference this old thread if interested.

Long story short, I noticed this bilateral white patch of scales appear on my betta fish, and it has since grown quite large. It's slight protruding, and does not appear fuzzy. Since posting the last thread, I have been researching lymphocystis; I've read it is more likely to occur following some localized trauma. This would make sense, because Arty ripped his ventral fin in the exact location where the patch appeared. I've attached some pictures below. (There are some clearer ones on the referenced thread; the lumps look the same now, but have spread more.) I have been doing water 100% water changes about every two days since posting the last thread, but it hasn't seemed to help. Two eight day treatments of aquarium salt did not help either. He has been rather lethargic, but still has no problem eating. When I put him back into the water after a change, he darts around fast like he is agitated. I've also shined a light over him and the spot is non-translucent. Does this sound like a case of lymphocystis?

On a side note, while I was doing a water change today, Arty went #2 to in his betta cup. I noticed the water around it had a yellow tinge, like urine. Could this just be urine? Is this abnormal? The poop looked normal: light brown cinnamon bun. I only ask, because in the four years I've been doing this I've never seen poop cause a yellow tinge, and am wondering if it may help lead to a diagnosis.

Thanks!

___
Info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open top
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day, 3-4 pellets each serving, no food on Sunday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two days: 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime: 2 drops per gal

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the white patch described
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5-2 years

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Could be regular cyst as well. Lymphocystis is a virus and generally goes away in 3-5 months. Rare cases will lead to death. Since his has been consistent and doesn't move around like Lympho will, it sounds more like a regular hereditary cyst instead. There are no cures for either, just keep his water clean and keep him well fed. And yes, the yellow is urine, normal. It should dissipate after a few minutes or so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be regular cyst as well. Lymphocystis is a virus and generally goes away in 3-5 months. Rare cases will lead to death. Since his has been consistent and doesn't move around like Lympho will, it sounds more like a regular hereditary cyst instead. There are no cures for either, just keep his water clean and keep him well fed. And yes, the yellow is urine, normal. It should dissipate after a few minutes or so.
Thanks for the reply, didn't know lymphocystis causes a lot of movement. I just feel bad, because he sits around all day like he isn't feeling well. However, he still makes bubble nests all the time and eats. I guess I will just continue with frequent water changes.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Sorry, I mean Lympho itself will move around the body of the fish, or it seems like it does. Where Ich is one parasite that infects only one part of the fish, Lympho infects the entire body and so the spots similar to Ich will appear and disappear as if they were moving around the body. They generally start on the pectoral fins and create a line of dots.

Well, he is getting old so less activity is to be expected. Don't do too frequent water changes, that will stress him out as well. Just two 50% or so will be fine in one week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts