Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on sunday I went to petco to get some filter inserts and to see if they had any black phantom tetras for my 40 gallon sorority.
Around the time we were about to leave I was looking at the guppy, molly, and I think platy (I don't remember off had) "community" display. And I was mentioning to my mom how I wanted them more in the sense that I would if I could. Then the person working their came up and asked if we needed help and my mom said yes and that I wanted on of these fish (referring to the guppies and mollies) and without thinking about it and that combined with impulse I ended up buying one.... Grumble.:evil:
My question is, I know its said that mollies are bullies and tend to fin nip, but Id feel bad bringing her back to petco. If it was a clean nice store that took good care of their fish I wouldn't have a problem but since their tanks aren't the cleanest and ive seen a handful of dead fish and I don't really want to put her back in that situation. So would it be ok to try her in the sorority tank? If it works out and her and the girls get along then she can live with them or if she doesn't then im willing to bring her back.
Or do you think its best to bring her back any way. Im leaning on bringing her back anyway because im mad at my self for getting her in the first place but I would at least try to give her another option.
Anyways what do you think?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had to bring back an Oto last week due to betta full on aggression. It's the worst, but it beats a fish dying or being badly injured cause of it. I'd say bring it back for the other fishies sake that you're probably attached too!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true :) Thanks for the advice. Though ill probably have to wait until the weekend but at least she has the spare 2 gallon until then. Hopefully we can go during the week.
Sigh im sure my mom wont be happy lol but this give me a chance to get shrimp for my baby bettas section of the 10 gallon. Which I really should have got instead of the molly. He doesn't eat everything so it ends up sitting their until I use my turkey baster to sueeze it up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've heard of some cases where Mollys do ok with A betta in a tank...i don't know about a sorority tho.... and I'm pretty sure Mollys are supposed to be kept in groups of no less than 3. It might be best to rehome or exchange her... PetCo will understand they do it all the time when fish don't get along.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told my mom about it and were going to bring her back this weekend, I plan to exchange her for some shrimp.

Thanks for the advice TheBlur

·
Registered
188 Posts
Remember, if a betta is really aggresive, give him a 2-5 gallon fish tank with alots of decor to himself

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know lol fingers crossed baby baby betta doesnt like shrimp. I think it will help that hes still pretty small

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If you ever introduce anything to a sorority please, please, please, PLEASE give it at LEAST a 2 week quarantine if not a full month! I don't want your sorority to fail either!

Compatibility wise she would have been fine, mollies can tolerate freshwater as can some gobies. it's not the healthiest in the end but if they are bred and brought up in freshwater, they can adapt just fine.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry, shes in a 2 gallon holding tank until I bring her back this weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I understand the appeal of shrimp but even with a baby predator and adequate cover they may so stressed you won't see them very often. Lots of live plants help keep a predator from having a straight shot at catching the shrimp. Better to spend your money on a fish or Nerite snail with a fighting chance (no pun intended) of survival. :)

Also, shrimp need a mature, stable tank as they are very parameter-sensitive. A lot of people assume if they see a shrimp in a Betta's mouth the Betta killed it when he was just opportunistically feeding. The truth is more shrimp die from unstable parameters than predation. I learned this the hard way. :-(

I have 50+ Blue Velvet Shrimp in a 20 long community tank with a male Betta. Archibald ignored them once he figured out they couldn't be caught. He does, however, occasionally manage to scoop up a baby. So if conditions are right, you *can* keep shrimp and Bettas together.

If your tank isn't at least six months old, give yourself time and try shrimp when it is. You'll love them.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I do agree with Russell here too. Did you ever read in my journal the "Shrimp Massacre"? Rather funny but horrible story lol. I'll link you to the page if you weren't around at that time or skipped over it ^_^

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think i ever read it, thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh that's why, it was on my PetCo Baby thread, my bad! Here's the page: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=167010&page=13#post2706137 prior to this incident Tony never touched any of his tank mates and he'd been with platies, guppies, Endlers, ghost shrimp and occasionally his 'boyfriend' Steve when he got through the divider :roll:

·
Registered
137 Posts
here is my 2 cents :)

mollies are one of the least favored fish to be paired with bettas for multiple reasons.

1. Mollies thrive in brackish water and should be in schools of no less than 6, and in a tank no less than 20 gallons as they are very VERY active fish.

2. They will stress your betta out - and yes they do nip at your bettas fins (mostly out of curiosity but your betta wont distinguish that.

3. Mollies are live bearers - your betta will more than likely snack on the fry (and there will be fry Mollies are breading fiends)

i only say this out of experience, i had 2 mollies in a 10 gallon with my betta boy and it stressed him out beyond belief, after they were returned to the LFS everything subsided.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.