Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just got a 20gallon tank with a heater to contain 3 bettas. However, I have a problem, I put the dividers in, and the gaps on the sides were too large and my fish escaped!! Luckily, no one bred or fought, but I am NOT putting the fish or the dividers back in. I put 1 of the fish in a bowl, and left Sparky with the 20 all to herself, which she is very happy to enjoy. My 3rd has not arrived yet. So... I need to know how to make divers for a 20 gal...

-How do I make dividers?
-How many bettas can a 20gal tank hold, divided up? I was thinking only like 4...

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
DIY dividers take 1
DIY dividers take 2

If the dividers aren't tall enough to reach from bottom to top- just cut another the length needed.

4-5 bettas divided I would say, as it gives them enough room to be comfortable in. 5 bettas would be 4 gallons, minus a few inches off the top (to prevent jumpers) and a couple inches from substrate.. so it would equal to roughly 3-3.5 gallons each, a good number.

Good luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
DIY dividers take 1
DIY dividers take 2

If the dividers aren't tall enough to reach from bottom to top- just cut another the length needed.

4-5 bettas divided I would say, as it gives them enough room to be comfortable in. 5 bettas would be 4 gallons, minus a few inches off the top (to prevent jumpers) and a couple inches from substrate.. so it would equal to roughly 3-3.5 gallons each, a good number.

Good luck!
Yep thats how I do mine. At first it was a little tricky. But I've done the process a few times now and it has gotten easier.

BTW I just UNdivided my 20G and turned it into a sorority tank. But I still have glue stripes down the sides - does anyone know how to safely remove glue from inside a tank? I thought about using goo-gone or something but not sure if it would make the tank unsafe somehow.
I plan on doing this once I move in June and re-set up the tank in the new place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts