Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I bought my son a fish tank. It's 30gallons and has a few fish in it so far. (2 platties, 2 black mollies, 4 serpae tetra and a tri-color shark -- yes, I know he'll have to go to a bigger tank when he's bigger.) They all came with the tank when I bought it on Kijiji.

So I've had the tank in great condition (thanks to the advice of the man I bought it from) since moving it in December.

My question to you is...

I bought a Betta yesterday for the tank and he's just hiding in the corner by some plants and the heater. I know it'll take some getting used to the new environment, but I don't know how long'ish and if there's anything I can do to hasten his feeling more at home.

When I fed him/them yesterday, he ate well and appears to be fully healthy, but he just sits there looking nervous.

Suggestions?
(30g tank; 80degree water; plants and other things to hide in; water is in very good condition - I test regularly; not much water low-medium amount of water movement; other fish don't really go near him except for a greeting from afar every once in a while.)

Thanks a lot!
Noel

·
Registered
459 Posts
that's a lot of space for a betta, is it well-planted? it might take him time to adjust if it is not well planted. good that he is eating. if the platies and mollies are male and female, you will have lots of fry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Selah.
It is a fair bit of space. It has several plants, a few rocks, a volcano (and even a thermometer, apparently) to hide in/around. I'm thinking about adding more/at least better plants into the mix. Being new to the aquarium world, I felt that I should get used to taking care of JUST the fish before putting live plants in there - especially with my lack of a green thumb.

All the fish in the tank are either male or female (species dependent) and unable to mate. In the future, once my son gets back into town and the tank is more established) then we may consider breeding.

Today he's been out once, or twice. Not much - but he seems to be a BIT more acclimatized than his first few hours yesterday. I'll keep waiting.

Meanwhile - anyone have any suggestions on how to help him warm up to the environment, or suggestions in general for keeping Bettas with other fish?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You might find better luck with that last question in the Compatibility section of the forum :) Good on you for realizing that fish are hard enough to take care of without putting in plants! Personally, I've never kept my betta with anything at all, so I don't know if I can help with that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts