Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... After my last few incidents with fish as a newbie, in which I am very ashamed, I have finally gotten another betta.

When I just started with bettas, I had one male in a vase, Perceus. I learned a bit more and got him a ten gallon. Family members convinced me to add in two mystery snails and three African Dwarf Frogs. Sadly, I failed to keep up on water changes... Needless to say, the only survivor after that half-year was a frog.

More recently, I got a newer, slightly smaller tank, the tetra marineland half-moon 10 gallon. (Really 8.8 or so gallons) I did a complete redo. New gravel, new heater, new filter, new decorations... A fake log and three plastic plants. Again, a family member decided I should Use goldfish to cycle the tank. :shake: Anyways, one the tank cycled, I put the frog in and... A new betta, Rubics. He died by plastic plant, again, my fault, although he was already quite.

Not too long after, I got a different betta, Riddle, after removing the plants. Riddle started out lethargic, and died soon after.

Now, I spent a few months researching for bettas, and hope I've gotten it correct. I replaced the middle fake log, (I think Riddle got stuck in it, or at least he died in it) and replaced it with a small dragon head and three silk plants. I baffled the filter the best I could and got a new, better, non-pre-set, heater and glass thermometer. I have been keeping up on water changes and have since got a test kit, the freshwater API master test kit. The food I have is Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and HBH Betta Bites and Treats. I have frozen blood worms (lost the cover, sorry) for the frog and as a supplemental food. My heater is an eight-inch 50 watt hagen heater with a one year guarantee. I have a new betta, a 1 1/4 inch (not including the tail) female betta who has been in the tank since 6:00 pm PST yesterday. She's had stress stripes since I've gotten her, but her fins seemed to have brightened a bit. I feed her five pellets morning and evening, but her poop today was white and fairly large, so I'm fasting her tomorrow to see if it gets better.

Also, somehow, through this all, that one frog has survived... :shock:

I don't have recent Nitrate etc. values, but I believe my frog kept the cycle. (The nitrates kept increasing atleast) My PH is between 6.6 and 7.0. I can't tell the colour well.

So:
Decorations: Three silk plants and a dragon head
Temperature: 80 F
Size: 10 gallon Half moon (8.8)
Filter: Tetra whisper 2-10i baffled
No air stone
Heater: 50 watt Hagen
Tank mate: One African Dwarf frog (My only survivor of my awful ignorant first set up)
Food: Betta Bio-gold by Hikari, but I also have Betta Bites and Treats by HBH and frozen blood worms
I feed her five pellets morning and evening
Water change: One 50% change each week
Conditioner: Hagen Aqua Plus, although now that I look... It expired. :blueworry: (I'll get a new one before next water change)
Description of fish: Female betta. Stress stripes, but bright finnage. large white-poop, fasting tomorrow. 1 1/4 inches long (Ignoring tail) She's the fish in my avatar.

So my question is: Is there anything I need to change?
Sorry for long post... I just want to be a good fish-owner, unlike I have been for the last three poor sweet bettas, Perceus, Rubics and Riddle...

Sorry for fuzzy pictures.

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Fish Aquatic plant

Sky Water Glass Night Aquarium

Aquarium Water Glass Freshwater aquarium Transparent material

Drink Oliang

Technology Electronic device Games Finger Hand

Snack

Fish Fish Aquarium Marine biology Fin

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I can't really see the pictures since I'm on my phone, but I can say that you're going in the right direction.

What I would do is to get another frog, since they are social animals, they need to be in pairs or more. This will increase the bioload significantly, frogs are messy eaters, so be prepared to do water changes.

Also another note you might be giving too much food. I can't really tell the size of the pellets but 10 per day seems excessive. But I could be wrong, like I said I can't tell the pellet size very well.

That's all I can say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really see the pictures since I'm on my phone, but I can say that you're going in the right direction.

What I would do is to get another frog, since they are social animals, they need to be in pairs or more. This will increase the bioload significantly, frogs are messy eaters, so be prepared to do water changes.

Also another note you might be giving too much food. I can't really tell the size of the pellets but 10 per day seems excessive. But I could be wrong, like I said I can't tell the pellet size very well.

That's all I can say.
The pellets say "feed 5 to 10 pellets up to 3 times daily" so if I'm overfeeding, I'll feed less.

I'm prepared to do water changes, I have no problems with that. If you think I need to do more then 1 50% water change a week, please tell me.

The only thing about getting a new frog is I don't have a quarantine tank, but if it is better to risk it for the frog I have, I'll get one at PetsMart or one of my local pet stores as soon as I can. :oops: If you can think of a low-cost quarantine tank, though, I'd be willing to try to get one. I do have a pre-set heater that came with the tank I could use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My betta's poop seems to be getting healthier, though. It's turned from white to brown, but it's currently stringy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing much has changed today. The betta is swimming by the top of the tank, still stress stripes. She's afraid of my hand, but doesn't run too far away, and still seems curious. I don't think she cares for my frog, who I've only seen her look at twice in short periods and then swim away from.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Hey there! I'd just like to say that I certainly agree, you're definitely on the right track here! And don't beat yourself up too much over past mistakes, we were all new once and I'm sure most of us have made are fair share of fish-keeping mistakes in our learning process. :) Just like with anything of course, the only important thing is to learn and move on, which you seem to have done beautifully! Great job!!

I just have a few little minor suggestions to add on to the advice already given....

The Hagen heater, the ones that stick on the side and can't be fully submersed, I have some personal experience with and to be honest they're really not that great. I keep a couple very small ones around because they're fine in a pinch for an emergency, but they're just over all crappy quality and break, crack, and die fairly quickly. Its fine temporarily for a bit, but I would highly suggest looking into some more sturdy fully submersible options for the long-term.

Also, I would suggest perhaps seeing about picking up a nice tall silk plant or two, ones that reach up to the top of the water to stick around the back. Though its not uncommon at all to find our betta in every corner of the tank, they are generally a top-level fish as they must surface to breath air and, especially in slightly deeper tanks, will tend to hover around the top more often. Bettas in general prefer a more full tank with lots of places to hide and swim through, so its always a good idea to provide a nice tall plant or two that reaches the top in a betta tank to help provide them with a little more cover and make them feel more secure when they surface for air or food. :)

And as for the food....Bio-Gold, last I checked, was not that great as far as quality. Its got some flours and grains pretty high up on the list, which are nothing but fillter ingrediants and stuff you want to see further down. What you want in a good food for a carniverious species like bettas is some kind of whole fish as the first ingrediant or two, and some kind of fish meal not far behind. Basically, its like choosing a good cat/dog kibble. Lol
It never hurts to have a couple different pellet brands to switch it up a little and provide some variety, but as a main staple I would suggest a much more nutritious, higher quality food like New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet.

And for amount and frequency....a good rule of thumb I'd say for pellets made for bettas is 2-4 pellets, depending on the size, twice per day. 10 per day, even broken up into a couple meals isn't the end of the world, but its probably little bit much IMO. I would take the instructions on the back of any food with a grain of salt, they're usually about as useful as advice from most pet store employees.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poo since its turning a bit more of a normal color; its very possible she stole a bloodworm or two from the frog and that can often change the color of their poo. Aside from the stress stripes(which should fade in due time once shes nice and settled in her new home), she looks quite healthy and since her poo is returning to normal, and if she is otherwise active and eating normally I wouldn't worry. ;)

As for your cycle....what are your readings? You should be getting steady readings of 0 Ammonia 0 NitrItes and about 5-20 NitrAtes if your cycle has held through everything. 1 50% change per week sounds about right as regular maintenance if your tank is still cycled, but if you have any readings of Ammonia or NitrIte then you need to start preforming some smaller more frequent partial changes.

And one more note on the conditioner....pick up some Seachem Prime next time you head to get some. Its pretty great stuff, removes anything possibly harmful from your tap water, including heavy metals, and it will lock and detoxify Ammonia for 24-48 hours(it turns it into less toxic ammonium, which will still read when you test I believe and the beneficial bacteria can still feed off of it but is not quite so harmful to your tank inhabitants). Its also quite concentrated, just a couple drops needed per gallon, so over time you'll end up getting less of it.

Lets see, I don't think I forgot anything....hope I could be of some help!

·
Registered
901 Posts
A little over 1 inch long isn't much bigger than a baby, the stripes might be due to youth. They could last another month or so as she grows out of them.

If her fins and tail aren't clamped up as she swims, that's a good sign that she at least isn't feeling unwell. Just make sure the water stays clean and warm, and maybe as was suggested get her one more taller fluffy silk plant.

Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
It sounds like dragonfish gave you a lot of good advice. Adding to it:

If you decide to get a new heater, I recommend the Hydor Theo Original 25 or 50 watt heater.

For more decorations, you could also get a live plant or two. Bettas love to sleep and rest on them, and they improve water quality. Some really low-maintainence plants that do well in low-light are Java ferns, anubias, and java moss.

Expect a mini cycle as you add new fish because the bacteria need to adjust themselves.

have fun with your new betta! Knowing that you research and reach out to people for help means that you are a good pet owner. You made mistakes like everyone, and unlike everyone, want to fix them. Good job!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I agree with Shadyr, she still looks like a baby and I wouldn't be surprised if her growth was extremely stunted. I think you should start treating her like she's a baby which means about 3 meals a day of 3-4 pellets at each, up to 5 meals if you can. Basically smaller portions but more frequently. Then every other day, if you can start doing a 30-50% water change because it looks like she's stunted so getting rid of any growth stunting hormone that she excrete's will help her to actually grow and come into her full colors.

I agree, it might be easier to get a new heater, one that's fully submersible so that it doesn't short out on you or anything (not saying that they never do lol, it's just easier IMHO) but as long as you can keep the temp steady at 80, then you're doing great!

I didn't read all of this honestly, but looks like there was some trouble with cycling? Doing the every other day water changes will help keep the ammonia down as well. And I agree, some nice low light plants will really help her out and help improve the water quality too!

So that's all I've got so far, I'm glad you've posted here! You're well on your way for sure!! :-D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there! I'd just like to say that I certainly agree, you're definitely on the right track here! And don't beat yourself up too much over past mistakes, we were all new once and I'm sure most of us have made are fair share of fish-keeping mistakes in our learning process. :) Just like with anything of course, the only important thing is to learn and move on, which you seem to have done beautifully! Great job!!

I just have a few little minor suggestions to add on to the advice already given....

The Hagen heater, the ones that stick on the side and can't be fully submersed, I have some personal experience with and to be honest they're really not that great. I keep a couple very small ones around because they're fine in a pinch for an emergency, but they're just over all crappy quality and break, crack, and die fairly quickly. Its fine temporarily for a bit, but I would highly suggest looking into some more sturdy fully submersible options for the long-term.

Also, I would suggest perhaps seeing about picking up a nice tall silk plant or two, ones that reach up to the top of the water to stick around the back. Though its not uncommon at all to find our betta in every corner of the tank, they are generally a top-level fish as they must surface to breath air and, especially in slightly deeper tanks, will tend to hover around the top more often. Bettas in general prefer a more full tank with lots of places to hide and swim through, so its always a good idea to provide a nice tall plant or two that reaches the top in a betta tank to help provide them with a little more cover and make them feel more secure when they surface for air or food. :)

And as for the food....Bio-Gold, last I checked, was not that great as far as quality. Its got some flours and grains pretty high up on the list, which are nothing but fillter ingrediants and stuff you want to see further down. What you want in a good food for a carniverious species like bettas is some kind of whole fish as the first ingrediant or two, and some kind of fish meal not far behind. Basically, its like choosing a good cat/dog kibble. Lol
It never hurts to have a couple different pellet brands to switch it up a little and provide some variety, but as a main staple I would suggest a much more nutritious, higher quality food like New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet.

And for amount and frequency....a good rule of thumb I'd say for pellets made for bettas is 2-4 pellets, depending on the size, twice per day. 10 per day, even broken up into a couple meals isn't the end of the world, but its probably little bit much IMO. I would take the instructions on the back of any food with a grain of salt, they're usually about as useful as advice from most pet store employees.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poo since its turning a bit more of a normal color; its very possible she stole a bloodworm or two from the frog and that can often change the color of their poo. Aside from the stress stripes(which should fade in due time once shes nice and settled in her new home), she looks quite healthy and since her poo is returning to normal, and if she is otherwise active and eating normally I wouldn't worry. ;)

As for your cycle....what are your readings? You should be getting steady readings of 0 Ammonia 0 NitrItes and about 5-20 NitrAtes if your cycle has held through everything. 1 50% change per week sounds about right as regular maintenance if your tank is still cycled, but if you have any readings of Ammonia or NitrIte then you need to start preforming some smaller more frequent partial changes.

And one more note on the conditioner....pick up some Seachem Prime next time you head to get some. Its pretty great stuff, removes anything possibly harmful from your tap water, including heavy metals, and it will lock and detoxify Ammonia for 24-48 hours(it turns it into less toxic ammonium, which will still read when you test I believe and the beneficial bacteria can still feed off of it but is not quite so harmful to your tank inhabitants). Its also quite concentrated, just a couple drops needed per gallon, so over time you'll end up getting less of it.

Lets see, I don't think I forgot anything....hope I could be of some help!
Okay, so replace the Hagen heater. Got it. I figured it wouldn't be that great, but a cheap adjustable heater would be better temporarily then a non-adjustable one. Could you suggest any brand names? I have a small pet store and a PetsMart near me, so I should be able to find most brands.

So I should get a silk plant like this?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10933760&lmdn=Fish+Decor&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No
These are the silk plants I already have.
http://mrpets.ca/Products/Product.aspx?ID=14257&&categoryid=3

As for the food, I saw some sort of omega-one betta food when I went shopping for the decorations. I'll pick it up when I get the conditioner. It does sound like picking out cat and dog food. (Except easier.)

Okay, so probably about 2 pellets twice a day for my little girl? And yes, pet store employees are usually useless. I had one tell me bettas preferred small tanks, that they liked dirty water, and that I should clean their tank once a month MAXIMUM.

Looking at her for a few minutes, her tail is unclenched when she swims, but clenched when she stops. This worries me. She is active, though, and she eats what I give her and begs for more.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-40
Someone dropped an algae pellet (For the old snails) in the tank "to feed the frog" and never took out the extra. He's carnivorous. I'll clean the tank, hopefully getting the conditioner beforehand.

Okay, so Seachem Prime is the best conditioner? Do you know how long it usually lasts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with Shadyr, she still looks like a baby and I wouldn't be surprised if her growth was extremely stunted. I think you should start treating her like she's a baby which means about 3 meals a day of 3-4 pellets at each, up to 5 meals if you can. Basically smaller portions but more frequently. Then every other day, if you can start doing a 30-50% water change because it looks like she's stunted so getting rid of any growth stunting hormone that she excrete's will help her to actually grow and come into her full colors.

I agree, it might be easier to get a new heater, one that's fully submersible so that it doesn't short out on you or anything (not saying that they never do lol, it's just easier IMHO) but as long as you can keep the temp steady at 80, then you're doing great!

I didn't read all of this honestly, but looks like there was some trouble with cycling? Doing the every other day water changes will help keep the ammonia down as well. And I agree, some nice low light plants will really help her out and help improve the water quality too!

So that's all I've got so far, I'm glad you've posted here! You're well on your way for sure!! :-D
I hope she isn't stunted, but I want to do whatever I can for her. I the fish store she was at the back corner surrounded by males and was in the bowl the size of two fists with a smaller hole at the top. I'll start giving her small regular meals tomorrow.

The only problem with the plants is the tank came with LEDs which I believe won't grow plants. I don't think the tank would fit a normal light, but if you can think of a way to add a plant-friendly light, I will.

And thanks! I just don't want to make another mistake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like dragonfish gave you a lot of good advice. Adding to it:

If you decide to get a new heater, I recommend the Hydor Theo Original 25 or 50 watt heater.

For more decorations, you could also get a live plant or two. Bettas love to sleep and rest on them, and they improve water quality. Some really low-maintainence plants that do well in low-light are Java ferns, anubias, and java moss.

Expect a mini cycle as you add new fish because the bacteria need to adjust themselves.

have fun with your new betta! Knowing that you research and reach out to people for help means that you are a good pet owner. You made mistakes like everyone, and unlike everyone, want to fix them. Good job!
Okay, I'll get a Hydor Theo heater if I can find one.

As I posted to the other person, I would love to get my betta a few live plants, but my tank came with LEDs. (And more likely then not, cheap, non plant-friendly LEDs) If you can think of a way to replace the lighting on my oddly shaped tank, I will try.

Thanks. I don't want to do anything to hurt my betta, and didn't want to hurt my past ones, but the past can't be changed, and you guys are very helpful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little over 1 inch long isn't much bigger than a baby, the stripes might be due to youth. They could last another month or so as she grows out of them.

If her fins and tail aren't clamped up as she swims, that's a good sign that she at least isn't feeling unwell. Just make sure the water stays clean and warm, and maybe as was suggested get her one more taller fluffy silk plant.

Good luck!
Yeah, when she was at the store she looked small, especially since there were only males around her. And females are usually left unchosen, sadly.

I recently realised her tail does clamp most times when she stops, but never when she swims. Any advice?

Also, would it be better to clean her tank now with expired conditioner, or later/tomorrow with new conditioner?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yeah, you're alright with the Hagen temporarily...they're perfectly fine for a short while in a pinch, its not at all a 'must run out tomorrow and get a new heater' sort of thing. Just, you know, something look into and change out in the nearish future is all. ;)
As for in-store brands(going by Petsmart since I'm not sure what you're local place has of course), I'm personally particularly fond of Aqueon. A few bucks more, but generally a very good quality. I haven't heard much about the Jagers I'm afraid, I don't think many use them and I never have so I'm afraid I can't comment. The Top Fins....well, I'm a little iffy on them. I had an incident a while back where the bottom rubber piece came off on one I bought, revealing quite a foul smelling and no doubt toxic glue substance. I've personally avoided all Top Fin heaters since(I was never a fan of most of their products anyway....generally poor quality and cheap for the most part), though plenty of others use them with no problems. Its very possible I just ended up with a bad one, but it makes me wary personally.

If you're cool with ordering online however, Amazon has the previously mentioned Hydor Theos, which are great little heaters with fantastic reviews for, generally I think, a little cheaper then what you'll find in most stores.

As for taller silk plants, look for something fuller with broader leaves. The goal is to give her a place to hide, swim around, and rest upon somewhere near the very top of the water. Something similar in shape and fullness to what you have, but taller is what you want to shoot for. If there is any way you can order online, Petco has a lot of fantastic options that fit this need and don't cost too much....I know Petsmart doesn't have much of a selection, not sure about your local place though of course.

I must have missed something about her being a baby...personally from the pictures she doesn't look like a baby to me and her stripes look like stress, not necessarily camouflage(though of course pictures can be deceiving, I could be wrong). I have seen girls being sold that are probably as young as 3 months, which is fairly young and they're generally on the nice and small side, but I wouldn't say you have to treat her like, say, you would treat a young fry with higher temperatures and very frequent feedings and water changes. She could still be quite young with lots of room to grow, meals 2-3 times a day and keeping the tank maybe in the 80-82 range would be a good idea, but I don't think theres a need to go to an extreme with it.

I'd suggest feeding her around 3 or so per feeding actually once you get your Omega One pellets.

Ah, no, that sort of movement is very common of shorter finned males and females. I notice this behavior in my PKs all the time, and I recall my females doing it too when I had them. No need to worry, its just kinda something they do. ;) It sounds like shes doing very well!

Hmm, looks like your tank held the cycle alright. Nitrates are a tad on the high side though. I'd suggest going in and doing maybe a good through 50%-60% water change making sure to really get in there with the Gravel vac and see if you can bring those Nitrates down under 20. Otherwise, looks good.

And for Prime, that depends on the size of the bottle you get, of course. For my 5+ tanks, ranging from 2.5 to 10 gallons, a big bottle lasted me a good several months even when I had all eleven set up, and that was when I didn't even bother with proper accurate measuring. Even a small bottle will last you a while with just one tank probably, much longer then any other conditioner will at least. I'm afraid I keep quite a few tanks and have for a while so I'm not sure how to properly calculate a little better for you. :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you're alright with the Hagen temporarily...they're perfectly fine for a short while in a pinch, its not at all a 'must run out tomorrow and get a new heater' sort of thing. Just, you know, something look into and change out in the nearish future is all. ;)
As for in-store brands(going by Petsmart since I'm not sure what you're local place has of course), I'm personally particularly fond of Aqueon. A few bucks more, but generally a very good quality. I haven't heard much about the Jagers I'm afraid, I don't think many use them and I never have so I'm afraid I can't comment. The Top Fins....well, I'm a little iffy on them. I had an incident a while back where the bottom rubber piece came off on one I bought, revealing quite a foul smelling and no doubt toxic glue substance. I've personally avoided all Top Fin heaters since(I was never a fan of most of their products anyway....generally poor quality and cheap for the most part), though plenty of others use them with no problems. Its very possible I just ended up with a bad one, but it makes me wary personally.

If you're cool with ordering online however, Amazon has the previously mentioned Hydor Theos, which are great little heaters with fantastic reviews for, generally I think, a little cheaper then what you'll find in most stores.

As for taller silk plants, look for something fuller with broader leaves. The goal is to give her a place to hide, swim around, and rest upon somewhere near the very top of the water. Something similar in shape and fullness to what you have, but taller is what you want to shoot for. If there is any way you can order online, Petco has a lot of fantastic options that fit this need and don't cost too much....I know Petsmart doesn't have much of a selection, not sure about your local place though of course.

I must have missed something about her being a baby...personally from the pictures she doesn't look like a baby to me and her stripes look like stress, not necessarily camouflage(though of course pictures can be deceiving, I could be wrong). I have seen girls being sold that are probably as young as 3 months, which is fairly young and they're generally on the nice and small side, but I wouldn't say you have to treat her like, say, you would treat a young fry with higher temperatures and very frequent feedings and water changes. She could still be quite young with lots of room to grow, meals 2-3 times a day and keeping the tank maybe in the 80-82 range would be a good idea, but I don't think theres a need to go to an extreme with it.

I'd suggest feeding her around 3 or so per feeding actually once you get your Omega One pellets.

Ah, no, that sort of movement is very common of shorter finned males and females. I notice this behavior in my PKs all the time, and I recall my females doing it too when I had them. No need to worry, its just kinda something they do. ;) It sounds like shes doing very well!

Hmm, looks like your tank held the cycle alright. Nitrates are a tad on the high side though. I'd suggest going in and doing maybe a good through 50%-60% water change making sure to really get in there with the Gravel vac and see if you can bring those Nitrates down under 20. Otherwise, looks good.

And for Prime, that depends on the size of the bottle you get, of course. For my 5+ tanks, ranging from 2.5 to 10 gallons, a big bottle lasted me a good several months even when I had all eleven set up, and that was when I didn't even bother with proper accurate measuring. Even a small bottle will last you a while with just one tank probably, much longer then any other conditioner will at least. I'm afraid I keep quite a few tanks and have for a while so I'm not sure how to properly calculate a little better for you. :lol:
Okay. So basically I should be looking into getting an Aqueon or Hydor Theos heater within a month or so? I'll look around and see what I can find where. Yeah, I'd be wary of Top Fin as well. I also find their products to be low-quality. (For example, their colour fades, their decorations are rough)

For the silk plants I should look for high ones with boad leaves. That will be a bit hard as the tank is about 16 inches tall, but I'll try and find some. You're right, PetsMart does have a small selection. Sadly, so do the two small stores around here. I'll probably have to look into online shipping.

A few people on here believe she is a baby because, excluding the tail, she is only 1 1/4 inches long, which is quite small. She wasn't advertised as one, though, and was sold simply as a female. The temperature in the tank (according to the glass thermometer) is right around that temperature, so thats good. I can do three meal a day.

Okay, that's a relief. I've never had a short-finned or female betta before, so I didn't know, but I'm glad to know it's normal.

I'm thinking the high levels may be because at the beginning, I had an under gravel filter set up. (As in when I had Rubics.) I have since taken out the part that made the bubbles, as it was way to strong for a betta, but I never took away the bottom pieces, and some stuff may have fallen under. When I get the large plants I'll probably do a 60-70% water change and try to take them out to see if that's the case, but in the mean time do another water change.

Well that would be good! It would be nice to have a conditioner that won't run empty fast. Thank you! :-D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To clarify on her pattern, right now my betta (Who really needs a name) is a neutral brown colour with two stripes down her side from mouth to tail. the stripes seem lighter then when we fist got her- they used to be almost black, but now they're a much lighter colour, only slightly darker then her body.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at her again and she almost looks pure brown now. I hope she starts colouring and doesn't regain her stripes!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me with the heater.
Yeah, I mean, some simple things from Top Fin like their glass rectangular tanks and little glass thermometers and such aren't terrible, though its sort of hard to mess those things up(though, my one 5.5 is a Top fin and it came to me with a rather bad sealant job that caused a small leak I had to fix...), but in general I try to avoid them all together if I can. Not worth the extra money I'd need to spend to replace whatever I get from them that breaks or wears down later.

A couple options I just remembered if you can't order online for the silk plants.....you can get some like the ones you have already, trim them from the base, and just let them kind of float there near the top. If you're having difficulty keeping them where you want them, get a few little plain ol' suction cups, tie the stems to the suction cups with some fishing line or cotton string, and then stick them to the side. ;) Top cover without tall plants! I can't believe I didn't think about this earlier...

So..., her body alone is 1 AND 1/4th of an inch right? Thats actually just about adult size. She'll grow a little more probably(fish actually lack the hormone that tells them to stop growing so while their growth rate slows significantly after a certain size they never actually completely stop growing), but shes not a baby at that size. Still a little young, about four months or so probably, but not a baby.

Yup! Its just something they do with their fins. Not really sure why myself, but ever short-finned betta I've ever had swims that way. xD

Ah, yeah, that UGF could definitely be contributing to that....definitely pull that out as soon as you can and try to get down in there and get whatevers trapped there out as soon as you can. But hey, at least its not an ammonia spike!

Yup, sounds to me like her stripes are fading. Hopefully soon you'll see her color up a tad bit more even, but it can take a little while with females. Depending on the girl, some can even stripe up again at the littlest thing...I actually had a girl, a nice big ol' girl too, once who was pretty much striped almost constantly. But, hopefully your little gals will fade after a little while and she'll give you some lovely color. xD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts