Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a male Betta can live in a tank with 9 neon tetras? Is it possible? I will make sure I will try and pick one of my males who are less aggressive. But I am still worried...what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
It all depends on the Betta and what size tank. I wouldn't have that many Neons with a Betta in any less than a 20 gallon.

I have 10 Neons in a heavily planted 20 long and have no problems with three of my four males. The first time I put the fourth male in that tank, he only lasted as long as it took me to net him. :)

BTW, I rotate three of the four between the 20 and a 10 gallon divided three ways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends on the Betta and what size tank. I wouldn't have that many Neons with a Betta in any less than a 20 gallon.

I have 10 Neons in a heavily planted 20 long and have no problems with three of my four males. The first time I put the fourth male in that tank, he only lasted as long as it took me to net him. :)

BTW, I rotate three of the four between the 20 and a 10 gallon divided three ways.
Would 15 gallons be okay?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I keep neons (tetras and black neons) together with a male betta in a 29 gallon tank, it has gone well. A 29 has the same horizontal length as a 20 long.

I first introduced the neon tetras and then waited a week or two and then added the betta.

It kind of depends of the shape of the 15 gallons. Mine like to swing back and forth all over the tank. I was a 15 gallon tank that was beautiful (almost a square shape), but I don't think it would be good for schooling fish. There's just not enough swim space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts