Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone pls help me!! When I first got my my betta fish he was very pretty and had very long flowy bright fins but after a few months I noticed big chunks of his tail missing and now his tail has no colour and is very short and I’m not sure why as the water levels are very good and the only other fish in there are mollies which don’t go near him so can someone pls explain what’s happening and how I can help him? Is there anything I can do to help his tail grow back to normal? The first photo is when I first got him and the second is him now.
Plant Flower Purple Leaf Botany

Plant Fish supply Organism Terrestrial plant Wood
Plant Flower Purple Leaf Botany

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can someone pls help me!! When I first got my my betta fish he was very pretty and had very long flowy bright fins but after a few months I noticed big chunks of his tail missing and now his tail has no colour and is very short and I’m not sure why as the water levels are very good and the only other fish in there are mollies which don’t go near him so can someone pls explain what’s happening and how I can help him? Is there anything I can do to help his tail grow back to normal? The first photo is when I first got him and the second is him now. View attachment 1033739
View attachment 1033740 View attachment 1033739
I would recommend running water tests so you can tell us what the exact specifications of the water is. That might help us nail down a cause

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Buzz, Honey, Brody and Simon
459 Posts
They look like he may be biting them or they could be damaged from something inconspicuous that might have sharp edges. Even sometimes silk plants have sharp plastic tips to hold the petals on. I would double check everything especially if you just added new decor. To test, run a pair of nylons/pantyhose and if it causes a run or any damage, it could tear his fins or scales.

I would add an Indian almond leaf or leaves to your tank if you don’t already have one. Also you could make a tea out of the leaves. I can explain how if you’d like. The leaves have tons of antibacterial and antifungal properties and are great for betta health and will help avoid an infection. Betta fish love them too and it encourages bubble nesting.

Also, I really like a product called Kordons Fish Protector. It has echinacea and vitamin B and will give him a thicker slime coat and it aids and quickens healing. Amazon has it. I can send you the link if you’d like.

That being said, some betta fish nip at their fins if they are really long and “get in the way”. They also will bite them if their bored. A moderator might chime in with more help, but these are usually the first steps to help with what is going on.

Good luck! Let me know if you’re interested in the link or instructions on the tea!

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Buzz, Honey, Brody and Simon
459 Posts
Oh, and I’ve never had mollies so I’m not familiar with their behavior but I do know that tank mates are sometimes guilty of nipping at their fins. 🤨

He’s so beautiful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts