Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my male betta fish, Rufio for a couple weeks now and just put him in with my African Dwarf Frogs. Things are going well, mostly, except now he won't eat the pellet food I got for him. The frogs will not eat commercial frog food (I tried twice) and instead eat bloodworms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. Rufio rats that happily, but will spit out the omega one betta pellets that he enjoyed when he wasn't with the frogs.
Any tips on getting him to eat them again? Or should I just feed the whole tank the frozen stuff?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I wouldn't feed the whole tank the frozen foods because it is not a complete diet. Those frozen foods are like dessert to bettas.

He may need to realize that the pellets are food. When it is time to feed him, lure him over away from the frogs. Drop one pellet in at a time. If he eats one, then offer another. If he doesn't eat it then remove it from the tank and try again the next day. Eventually he will learn that they are food and that they are the only food he is going to get and will start eating them (basically you want to train him to think that he will not be getting the bloodworms/brine shrimp/mysis shrimp anymore even though it is still fine to give them as treats).

It is also possible that he is still getting used to being in a tank with tank mates.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've had a betta do this before when switching from flake/live to pellets. I found that if I dropped it from high up, it'd usually sink slowly with an air bubble attached and the betta would aggressively eat anything 'falling' into his water, but not necessarily floating.

If you feed him only that and do not make any other options, he will eventually eat it. You may wish to crush it up slightly at first and see if that is more appealing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, Rufio seems to have figured out that the turkey baster that I use to feed the frogs means food and will swim over to bite at the tip whenever it goes into the water (don't worry, no one is starving. The frogs are still getting food). I'm considering putting the frogs into a separate tank to be fed or putting Rufio in one of those mesh breeder cages whenever the frozen foods come out.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Looks like you'll have to separate them for feeding. A breeder box is OK. Try keeping him (or the frogs) at bay with a piece of craft mesh. You'll figure out how with a little practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts