Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 male guppies in my 10 gallon along with 5 lamb-chop rasboras (I need to bump up their school, I know. :-?). One of them looks very pregnant. I was certain it was a male, but it has this massive lump on it's belly. I noticed one of the other males harassing it, then all of a sudden it had this massive lump . . . Maybe it's a tumour? I'm lost. I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just looks like he stomach has been inflated. :/

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
You know.... Some females are pretty lookin'. Like MALE pretty lookin'. Can we see a pic?!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Take a look at the anal fin.If the anal fin has a small projection,it's a male.If the anal fin looks like a fan,it's a female.(this is the easiest way of telling)
You know.... Some females are pretty lookin'. Like MALE pretty lookin'. Can we see a pic?!
Yes females do look like males sometime.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
yes!!! :lol: Some of the females have wicked awesome coloring and patterns.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked his anal fin, it is like a sword.

I'm off to take a video. :/

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
He could also be a piggy when he eats?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's INFLATED, like I mean HUGE. He eats just as much as the other guppies.

I realized I have to wait for my phone to charge to take a video. -.- I'll probs have one up within an hour.

I checked, and he has no gravid spot, so it can't be pregnant.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would take a photo, but it's impossible as the little fish never stop moving.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Hmm,,,, I've seen enlarged guppies, male and female. They looked like BALLOON MOLLIES, and their spines ended up distorted - it's more common in guppies coming from or in a bad water quality tank. Where I got my pleco, all her guppies - even the babies - were huge bellied like that, because of the harsh environment.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do a 40% water change with gravel siphon once a week. I do miss the odd water change.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I tried looking it up and apparently "dropsy" :roll: but it's not.

Anyways, intestinal infection, may be a cause... Epsom salt may help.

In that case immediately remove him. Actually I suggest removing him immediately anyways just in case, especially if he dies and the others become ill from him dying.

Or, it could be bloat, which being ravinous eaters they may gulp air (like goldies too)....

Another thought, what do they get food? Food that is rich in certain things can cause problems..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They get a mix of Aqueon Tropical Flakes and Tetra Min Tropical Flakes. I chrush the flakes up and miz the two brands together.
I have no-where to remove him. :/

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
140 Posts
Maybe try fasting them for a day and see if he passes whatever is making him so bloated?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
do you have a bubbler and a pail/bucket/container you can float in the tank? Epsom saly may do him good.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So he is just very bloated?

I have a breeder net that I used when I had to seperate another guppy as he was being aggressive. So should I just feed the rest of them like normal, and fast him?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 47 Posts