Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This little one even has me stumped!

There's a bit of a beard there, but some ladies have beards?
However, this one was being sold as a boy?

To me, the bod looks very female, the fins are a bit long for a female HMPK, but not NEARLY long enough for a male HMPK.
It may be a traditional PK rather then HMPK, but that anal should be more POINTED to me.

The presence of an ovipositor there as well has me 85% sure that this "guy" is really a gal in disguise.
I bought it BECAUSE I was sure it was a girl, and I'm setting up a sority tank...but now I'm worried.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
4,500 Posts
He'/she looks 90% male to me. but that egg spot lol!

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(Sorry for the double post! It won't let me add these to my last post!)

For comparison:

Female HMPK

Male HMPK

Female Traditional PK

Male Traditional Pk

(THESE ARE NOT MINE THESE ARE FROM A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH AND ARE PURELY HERE FOR COMPARISON I CLAIM NOTHING)

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@RickyTan thank you for commenting! And yeah...some do. That's what complicates things.

Evidence for Male:
Ventrals
Seller had fish marked as male

Evidence of Female:
Beard when flaring is smaller then a male's
Girly body shape
VERY LADY-LIKE ANAL (lol)
Eggspot

Those ventrals have me VERY WORRIED though. (This betta was gonna probably be my favorite in my planned sorority to...I really wish There were more "green: bettas...It's my favorite color, and I'd really like primarily "green" and "purple" in the tank. X'D

(I may post my plan so far in another thread. Pictures of pretty fishies and a hunt for "green" bettas! :D)

· Premium Member
23,299 Posts
Looks like a very young male who hasn't finished growing into his fins yet.

I see no evidence of ovaries which is the only true discernible way you can tell male from female without throwing them together to breed.

I would not chance to put that into a sorority because if it does turn out to be male, then you'll end up with dead fishes or at the best case scenario, very torn up fishes after a while. Might not happen right away but once he and the other girls fully mature, then something is liable to flip. It's only their nature. Betta's are not together in the wilds except for breeding. Even females don't hang out together like Cichlid females might.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lilmaugrim YES, THE OVARIES...of course, the ONE thing I have trouble spotting, (especially on dark fishies in photos. Can't very well shine a flashlight on a picture. XD).

Thank you for pointing out this fish's seeming lack there of!

I would by NO MEANS put a fish whose gender I cannot discern into a sorority with females. I would never risk that danger to my fish. (Honestly...that would be only be barely less stupid and devastating then letting my PUFFERFISH in the sorority!)

· Premium Member
23,299 Posts
@Lilnaugrim YES, THE OVARIES...of course, the ONE thing I have trouble spotting, (especially on dark fishies in photos. Can't very well shine a flashlight on a picture. XD).

Thank you for pointing out this fish's seeming lack there of!

I would by NO MEANS put a fish whose gender I cannot discern into a sorority with females. I would never risk that danger to my fish. (Honestly...that would be only be barely less stupid and devastating then letting my PUFFERFISH in the sorority!)
Okay! Awesome, just making sure lol. I've seen people do a lot of stupid and silly things over the years >.< What you can do with one fish you might not be able to do with another. Good to know. I do apologize if I seem a little over the top or anything. It's often hard to discern what others know simply by their posts :) Glad you've got sense!

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Example of tiny-ness.

Stripes have faded, and where slight to begin with...I'll try to get more pictures if they come back.

What ever this little one's gender: I need to grow them out, and am head over heels for them.
After breeding stripe incident, however, I am very convinced that I have a girl on my hands...but given the tiny SIZE, it may just be a juvenile male so I could use the help here: Are their males who show breeding stripes at other males?

Bonus babyfish pictures:

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@RickyTan I haven't heard of it happening either! I want to make sure though...I guess I'll grow this little one out and see if it starts looking more male.
(Right now, however, I'm LOVING Baby's fishes partial dragon scales and wild markings, as well as it's looong, slender body! it ALMOST looks like it could have some wild betta in there!)

YEAH I can see how that fish would be confusing! Short vents and a rounder body shape...but he's still got a wide body like a male, and a masculene anal fin...the tail and vents make him look a bit like a female Halfmoon tho, lol.

· Premium Member
23,299 Posts
Are their males who show breeding stripes at other males?
Absolutely. As I mentioned, young males will do it.

They are actually submission stripes, not solely breeding stripes. Females show them to tell the male that she is submitting to him and allowing him to breed with her. I've had many young males do it to both male and female depending on who is the alpha. It's not just a girl thing. Of course, more often, girls will be the ones to do it but young males can absolutely show these submission stripes.

Reactions: RussellTheShihTzu

· Administrator
24,561 Posts
Don't apologize, lilnaugrim! :)

When posting people should understand that the OP is not the only one reading the answers. There are lots of lurkers with various levels of experience who may have the same question and benefit. It's why such as you and I, who've "seen it all" and been in Bettas and aquatics long time, cover all the bases/possibilities when answering. That way there's no gray area for misinterpretation.

IMO, he's definitely a "he."

· Registered
10,621 Posts
My young wild betta males show vertical barring on occasion, so it's definitely not limited to females. They use vertical barring to make themselves appear as non-threatening as possible to dominant and larger males.

The fins and body shape of this fish say male to me. I don't see anything about him that would suggest female and I would be extremely surprised if he turned out to be one.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@RussellTheShihTzu Everyone seems so sure...I suppose it's so!
@LittleBettaFish
Thank you for your thoughts!

Honestly his body is very slender, which makes me think female...but wild males who are splenden or similar species are also quite slender, and long-bodied. It could be because he's a juvenile that he has such a...PRETTY body to me, but I genuinely hope he keeps it, as I prefer the look of it to the more boxy, short look of most male plakats I've seen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.