Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
It is a male Dragon Scale Plakat.

Don't know how it happened, but there were 40 photos in your thread. I had to delete all but three.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a male Dragon Scale Plakat.

Don't know how it happened, but there were 40 photos in your thread. I had to delete all but three.
Thank u for the response, my judgement is good., you gave me confidence. sorry for the mess in the photos though. happy betta keeping!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yup, looks male to me! And gorgeous as well~

My main advice for sexing is always to look for ovaries, which in most bettas can be done easily by shining a flashlight from behind them, and looking for a shadow. A round shadow of the stomach and nothing else indicates a male, while a triangular shadow extending partway down the body would be ovaries, and indicate a female.

But your betta with his thick scaling would most likely be very tricky to see these shadows clearly, since the scales would block much of the light.

Instead, if you look at the way the light hits his side in these pictures, you can see the round curve of his stomach and then a "dent" behind it where the rest of his body begins. A female has ovaries just behind the stomach, so in good condition their sides would curve out, while your male does not have an organ in that place, so his sides curve in slightly.

Looking just at body shape isn't perfectly accurate since some males are fat enough to curve outwards, and some females are young or skinny enough not to have prominent ovaries, but in this case I feel fairly confident. Secondary signs can also be considered like how thick/large his ventral fins are, whether he has a "beard" membrane around his gills when he flares, etc. but these alone are not always conclusive. If you can't easily see ovaries you'll want to look at multiple signs to get an accurate reading of their sex.

·
Super Moderator
19,187 Posts
Forgot to add, he is a Red Cambodian. A Cambodian is a Dragon with a solid opaque/white body and solid one-color fins.

A true Dragon must have a white/opaque body with thick scales. Other colors, especially Metallic, are often deemed "Dragon." However, they are not as they do not fit the originators' criteria.

As far as determining sex, the International Betta Congress sets out specific characteristics for females and how they differ from males.

Many factors come into play: Fin shape, length, pair and unpaired fin proportion to body, shape of body, body length, etc. Of course, one can be wrong if the occasional young male has an egg spot or a female has too much finnage. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts