Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm part of a facebook betta group and at lot people on there post pictures of their sonority and also add that there's one or two males in the same tank.

From my understanding, males and females can't be kept in the same tank...at all or is there an exception?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless you are breeding, no. Females and Males should not be kept in the same tank together. Even when breeding is occurring, they are kept in the tank together for a very short amount of time. Also if there are two males in there that can be extremely dangerous for all of the fish involved.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Is this FB group possibly an Australian based auction group? I only ask, because if it is the one I'm thinking of, I've recently noticed the same thing, and seen a number of members post about dead or injured females in their sororities.

Personally, I feel that there's just far too much risk involved keeping a male (or multiple males) with females for it to ever be a practice I support.

I won't say it's impossible to successfully keep males and females together, because rarely are things so black and white in this hobby. It's just highly improbable, and the success is often short-lived. Speak to these same hobbyists six months from now and see just how many of their original fish are still alive. It's quite eye-opening to see how dismally high the mortality rate seems to be for a great many sororities. I can't imagine the addition of a male is going to do anything to improve that, and likely it's just going to be a trigger for increased stress and aggression.

As someone who discovered their male almost torn apart after months of living peacefully alongside a group of females, for me personally, the cost from any potential fall-out, is simply too high.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Not the FB group I am thinking of. What's frustrating, is that there are likely going to be people that read those sorts of posts and naively think there's little to no risk in attempting such a thing themselves. Unfortunately, it's usually the fish that pay for our mistakes in this hobby.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Basically there is no right nor wrong way to keep this species. What ever works is "right". BUT what may work for one person may not work for others. So always reconsider what ppl tell you.

For the record, I do keep male and females together. But I would never advise it to others. There are several aspects to consider - general genetics (I breed so I know my Betta's general character), water parameter, feeding habit, etc.

I've heard there are a few out there who throw opinions without considering who might read it. What can be done by those with years of experience might not be possible for newer hobbyists. So always re-ask something "uncommon" like the OP has done here. . . . It's always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know of an experienced fish keeper who has 2 males and about 5 females in a 70 gallon planted tank, She lets nature do what it needs so the males stay on there side of the tank and they are fine with the female they ignore each other and the females. when it comes to breeding they will spawn but because the depth the betta doesn't bother catching the eggs and going all the way back to the top of the tank. I's not a good Idea if you don't know what your doing though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts