Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hesitant to post anything since this is my first spawn in many many years and I didn’t want to jinx anything, but I’m too excited not to share! Attaching several photos. :)

I’ve done so much research. The male is in my 10gal breeder with IAL, heater, and sponge filter. By the time the spawn are free swimming, my vinegar eel, micro worm, and BBS cultures will be ready, so they will be well-fed little ones!

Francisco is an excellent father so far and was very gentle with the female. No fin damage to either fish!

Date of spawn: 7/16/20
Hatched: Overnight 7/17
Free swimming: 7/19

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Pretty! I really like the female :love: gonna make cute babies!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! I'm getting worried because the bubble nest is not in good shape, but the fry seem to be doing a pretty decent job of staying near the surface/bubbles that are there. Fingers crossed most of them make it! <3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you! I'm getting worried because the bubble nest is not in good shape, but the fry seem to be doing a pretty decent job of staying near the surface/bubbles that are there. Fingers crossed most of them make it! <3
Mine also hatched overnight and i woke up to almost all the babies on the bottom of the tank cause the bubble nest was kind of horrible but they're all just sticking at the top now and bouncing around so there's no need to worry about the nest

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nice! Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,972 Posts
Don't worry about bubble nests. Most of my males never bother making them but fry hatch and grow normally. If you are worried fry can't stay afloat or can't reach the surface, provide plants (I use stem plants) so they are closer to the surface (in case, like me, you breed in fully filled big tanks).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! I had live plants/IAL in since the courtship took place to provide hiding spots for the female. :) I bred them in my 10gal but only filled it up about 5”. The fry seem to be doing great, dad is still trying to catch them and blow them back up into a very insignificant nest lol. I think they’ll be free swimming later tonight/early AM and then I’ll remove the male.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much, @fishowner550! I love him too.. I always stare at him as he swims, he's just so captivating!

Update - Fry are doing well and completely free swimming. They're hard to see in my tannin-rich water, so no idea on a count. I'd say around 50 give or take, which I'm pretty happy with so far as I'd rather deal with a smaller spawn as I go through this experience. :) They got their first servings of vinegar eels today!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts