Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started making tank designs made out of marble. They are made with fish-safe silicone. I was just wondering, how much would you charge for something like this?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
That's actually really cool. Take in mind shipping too though!! Personally, as a shopper when it comes to online, I prefer something at a reasonable price, if the shipping isn't horrific :lol: if you stated, where you ship for instance, it would lower the cost of shipping. If you did like funky caves and such with marbles, that would be cool to!!

As for how much I'd pay? Not sure. I haven't seen this before, except with hot glue and that collapses.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the compliment! :) I thought of selling it on Etsy, but I think I'd find more interest here. It's nice and sturdy. As for shipping, I have no idea... I live in SoCal, if that gives you any indication. I wouldn't imagine it would be bad.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: I'm in Alberta, Canada.

Truthfully as an artist, I know you should never ask top dollar right away - but never start out cheaper than dirt. Do it by size - small = 2.00 (don't pick my numbers lol I'm just throwing random numbers to show my point!) medium = 5.00 and large = 8.00 or something along those lines.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Sena, I'll keep that in mind! Im excited by my little art project. :3

EDIT: btw, love your DT.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I think that is a cool art project, and awesome thing about marbles is that they are smooth, so no fishy gets hurt!!!

Thanks! I love him <3 he's the fish that ALMOST got away xD he was a freebie :eek: I died when I opened the box :3

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was he a present then? O:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
lol well I ordered...3 bettas online from Ontario, an HM, a CT, and a fighter. She threw in a female VT and the DT I passed up :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got'cha! Well that's awesome, you got a prize boy out of it. :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
lol thanks :) Hey! you should post more designs of what you do :eek:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was actually my first attempt! =) I've just purchased a bunch of new marbles and am going to work on a project later tonight.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
yay!! =D I cannot wait to see lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
well, if stores can rip us off for expensive tank decor that isn't great for fish, I think you should be able to sell smaller ones for at LEAST $5 and larger up to $15. Take into account how much you spend for the glue, the marbles, and how much time it takes you. Plan for about a $1 or 2 profit for each hour or half hour, and add a $1 to the amount you spent for supplies. So say you spend $3 on a pack of 30 marbles, and use 20 in a design. Each marble is worth .10 cents, so that means $2 in expense for the marbles. say the glue is $4 for a tube, and use use a 1/4 of it. Thats another $1 expense for the supplies. It costs, therefore, $3 to make a design that contains 20 marbles. Say it takes you an hour to make it, not including drying time, so thats about $1. In order to make a profit, add another dollar.

So, $5 for a 20 marble design :D :D

. . .Sorry . . . I had too much fun with that . . .

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately Frost, things cost me more than that to make just my little first design. D: Also marble designs don't stay together well when they're too large, they get flimsy. I think I'd have to make only smalls and mediums, but I might experiment with making thicker designs (maybe a castle?) that might stay up. Trial and error, anyway. :p

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wolfie/Kao, YES to Etsy. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts