Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a progression of his coloration (aside from the picture of him being in the bag, that was obviously picture one). My husband is convinced that this is his coloration coming out, but I can't shake the feeling that it might be ammonia burn. I have since added an ammonia treatment to the tank recommended by my local pet store.

We got Pearl from a specialty fish store. They have us bring in a small bottle of the tank water to make sure that the tank has been cycling properly. We have had the 5 gallon tank cycling with 5 Ember Tetras for a couple of weeks now, and we got the go ahead to get a Betta and put him in the tank.

As you can imagine, with a name like Pearl, he was almost completely white when we got him. Spots on his body and in his fins are turning red and what might either be a jade or a blue color. His body has the soft shimmer like a pearl. He was instantly excited when he was brought home, and after slowly introducing him into the new environment, he immediately began exploring and meeting his tank mates.

It's been roughly 24 hours since he's been added to the tank. He still seems active and doesn't spend a lot of time at the bottom or top of the tank, aside from this morning when I found him sleeping near the top.

What are your thoughts? If you do think he's just colorizi
Water Liquid Fish supply Fin Fluid
Water Plant Vertebrate Underwater Organism
Water Window Plant Underwater Sky
Water Plant Vertebrate Natural environment Organism
Water Vertebrate Underwater Organism Fin
ng and not sick, what coloration do y'all think he will end up? All I know about him is that he's a Dumbo and he's very pretty.

Water Vertebrate Underwater Organism Fin

Water Window Plant Underwater Sky

Water Plant Vertebrate Underwater Organism

Water Plant Vertebrate Natural environment Organism

Water Liquid Fish supply Fin Fluid

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

With Betta that have the marble gene there's no way of telling how they'll end up. Some still change colors after a year.

If you'll get an AP Master Test Kit you can keep track and know when your tank is cycled. In the long run, the kit is cheaper than buying the 5-in-1 strips and separate Ammonia strips. When Ammonia and Nitrites a 0 ppm and Nitrates under 15 your tank is cycled. After the tank is cycled, if the Nitrates go over 15 do a 25%-50% water change. They should read 0-10 ppm.

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
The red on his head is normal for a Betta if that has you worried. He's a very pretty Betta.

BTW, cycling is when you have consistent reading of 0 ppm Ammonia and Nitrite and under 15 ppm Nitrate. It is a process that takes more than two weeks; usually closer to six. Here's the Forum's tutorial CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

1 - 5 of 5 Posts