Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has used MARS brand Algae Destroyer Advanced in their cycled tanks. Did it also wipe out the BB in the process? Was it effective? Any unusual or negative effects to your bettas?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
hmm... usually for algae I suggest finding the reason for the outbreak.
get rid of that first. it is usually an excess of nutrients.
I do have to warn you that the algae may be keeping your tank in balance right now....

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
well.. I'm not sure yet but...
how big is your tank
is it cycled?
what is your photo period?
any plants?
what type of light?
whats your stocking?
what type of algae are you trying to get rid of?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 5ga cycled tank. A fairly cheap one from Walmart. I replaced the bulb that it came with with a CFL to reduce energy use and heat production. I leave it on about 5hrs/day (is that what u mean by photo period?). I have 2 anubias and 2 bunches of bacopa crenata with 1 betta in there. I noticed a thin layer of brown algae forming on the leaves of the anubias. I also noticed a light film growing on the inside glass. I do 50% water changes 1x per week. I do not have a co2 pump, I do not use ferts, I add Amqel Plus and Novaqua to condition the water.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.... It's very whitish, like fluorescent lights. But if I had to choose between orange or blueish I'd go with blueish.

Btw, Thankyou for helping me out with this!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I see, As far as I can think of, usually brown algae(diatoms) appear due to the tank being new. not sure how long your tank has been cycling...
give it a few more weeks and see how it goes, you can remove it manually for the tume being. Algae killers are never recommended...

If you are extremely eager to get rid of it.. Id suggest an amano shrimp from petco... one should do a pretty gold clean up job. and you can always return it after the job is done ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're absolutely correct, it's a newly cycled tank. It's only been a couple weeks since i safely deemed it officially cycled. I appreciate your expertise and ill take your advice and wait it out. When the active ingredient has the words ethylene dichloride in it I felt uneasy adding it to my tank.... Thank you again!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
you're welcome :) and good luck!
a note on the plants, you should wipe the anubias leaves ( i hope you didnt bury the rhizome!). I really recommend to have a few plants floating to get the most out of your light whilst darkening up the rest of your tank :) put the bacopa somewhere bright!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I had to relocate the bacopa to the center of the tank where there is the most light and the most "ceiling" space lol. And yes, my anubias' rhizome is above substrate. For a time before I cycled my tank I had the anubias floating. I soon noticed my betta getting damage to his fins and concluded the roots (quite firm and pokey) were tearing his fins so I tucked them in the gravel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That does sound like diatoms - too bad you don't have an oto cause they love that stuff!

The best algae control for nano tanks that I've been able to find is a freshwater nerite snail or two. They are small, won't reproduce in fresh water, bettas typically ignore them, and they eat their weight in algae plus some. Awesome little workers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That does sound like diatoms - too bad you don't have an oto cause they love that stuff!

The best algae control for nano tanks that I've been able to find is a freshwater nerite snail or two. They are small, won't reproduce in fresh water, bettas typically ignore them, and they eat their weight in algae plus some. Awesome little workers.
Hi Wendy,

What's an Otto? Sounds like some sort of algae eater?

If I can't control the algae by adjusting my photo period ill definitely consider your Nerite snail suggestion.... It'll have a ALGAE FEAST!

Thanks for responding btw it's much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
oto= otocinclus. a small and often fragile catfish due to bad shipping and snaring practices.

nerites are great too :) but you will need to feed it fresh veggies after the diatoms are gone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oto= otocinclus. a small and often fragile catfish due to bad shipping and snaring practices.

nerites are great too :) but you will need to feed it fresh veggies after the diatoms are gone.
Hmmm, the otocinclus may have to wait till I get a larger tank, I think Blooey enjoys the 5g all by himself.

Snails worry me a bit because when I was younger the snails we had often wandered up toward the lid and sometimes out onto the counter.... Jail breaker! Lol... Maybe if I keep the veggie buffet in the water they won't go nomad on me =P

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While doing a water change today I have come to the conclusion that I made a mistake in identifying the algae growing in my tank... I think it's blue-green algae rather than brown algae. Any new thoughts/suggestions? I have read this kind of algae is toxic to fish...

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
it can be fixed via manual removal or spot dosing of hydrogen peroxide. remove the betta just in case. if you need more information, I'll be happy to provide it. BGA gathers in areas of low water flow. increasing current in those areas will also help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts