Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! Just need some advice analyzing Maverick's (male, half-moon Plakat king) temperament. I've been doing some research to try and analyze, but the conflicting info is making it difficult.
------------
Examples of his personality:

-He only flares at his reflection at night at the BACK of the tank when the ambient light in the room hits JUST right
-He will get excited infront of a mirror but will not flare at his reflection in a mirror ever.
-He is inquisitive of my hand during water changes but never bites or flares
-He was kept with one Amano shrimp in a 10 gallon that was not heavily planted, she is still alive today. She would hide and cautiously explore during the day but would be more active at night.
-He was kept with one Nerite snail in the 10 gallon as well. And only in the last 2 weeks of him being in there did I notice Maverick take a few test nibbles at him (I know this because the snail would be upside down, I'm assuming after falling from the glass from hiding in his shell). For context the snail had been in the tank since the beginning of November 2020 and I never witnessed any aggressive behavior from Maverick towards him. EVEN at night because I stayed up late and checked on the tank often.

-He is NOW in a 33 gallon long with 6 amano shrimp. They are all still alive. While typing this I just watched him follow one shrimp for a bit on the log, the shrimp would jump but no bites were taken, and now Maverick's swam off. They noticeably hide more since he's been in but he hasn't eaten any and they're still eating fine.
----------
My question is; after reading examples of his behavior do you think it's safe to add 6 corydora sterbais into the tank. I bought them yesterday and they are currently in quarantine for a month. My only concern is recently learning they have toxins (I swear, truthfully during all my research of cory and betta compatibility I never read they have toxins). The last thing I want is for him to possibly harass them and then they release the toxins, killing everything in the tank. I am fully open to taking them back, however I would prefer not to or else I've wasted a perfectly good filter that was well matured (I'm using it for their quarantine and would not be able to use it again in case they're carrying a disease rn I can't visually see).
--------
Options:

1. Take them back and don't risk an accident

2. Put them in as planned in a month. I have Maverick trained to swim in a ladle for food. So if I see him actively hunting them I can take him out temporarily. And then net them out without the risk of them releasing toxins while being caught and hurting Maverick if he were in the tank.
------
I'm open to all advice and thoughts, thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
Hi everyone!! Just need some advice analyzing Maverick's (male, half-moon Plakat king) temperament. I've been doing some research to try and analyze, but the conflicting info is making it difficult.
------------
Examples of his personality:

-He only flares at his reflection at night at the BACK of the tank when the ambient light in the room hits JUST right
-He will get excited infront of a mirror but will not flare at his reflection in a mirror ever.
-He is inquisitive of my hand during water changes but never bites or flares
-He was kept with one Amano shrimp in a 10 gallon that was not heavily planted, she is still alive today. She would hide and cautiously explore during the day but would be more active at night.
-He was kept with one Nerite snail in the 10 gallon as well. And only in the last 2 weeks of him being in there did I notice Maverick take a few test nibbles at him (I know this because the snail would be upside down, I'm assuming after falling from the glass from hiding in his shell). For context the snail had been in the tank since the beginning of November 2020 and I never witnessed any aggressive behavior from Maverick towards him. EVEN at night because I stayed up late and checked on the tank often.

-He is NOW in a 33 gallon long with 6 amano shrimp. They are all still alive. While typing this I just watched him follow one shrimp for a bit on the log, the shrimp would jump but no bites were taken, and now Maverick's swam off. They noticeably hide more since he's been in but he hasn't eaten any and they're still eating fine.
----------
My question is; after reading examples of his behavior do you think it's safe to add 6 corydora sterbais into the tank. I bought them yesterday and they are currently in quarantine for a month. My only concern is recently learning they have toxins (I swear, truthfully during all my research of cory and betta compatibility I never read they have toxins). The last thing I want is for him to possibly harass them and then they release the toxins, killing everything in the tank. I am fully open to taking them back, however I would prefer not to or else I've wasted a perfectly good filter that was well matured (I'm using it for their quarantine and would not be able to use it again in case they're carrying a disease rn I can't visually see).
--------
Options:

1. Take them back and don't risk an accident

2. Put them in as planned in a month. I have Maverick trained to swim in a ladle for food. So if I see him actively hunting them I can take him out temporarily. And then net them out without the risk of them releasing toxins while being caught and hurting Maverick if he were in the tank.
------
I'm open to all advice and thoughts, thank you!!
The only to really tell is to put him in there and see. I find they usually live together peacefully but every fish is different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree with BettaloverSara: They're all individuals. Only way to tell is to try.....and have a backup plan.

BTW, those toxins are no issue unless his mouth were wide enough to take a chunk out of them.
@RussellTheShihTzu @BettaloverSara
Thank you for the quick advice! I figured that was going to be the general consensus lol Just wanted to see if there was any other ways I could predict the outcome in advance. For now I'll just be sure to be on top of his ladle training and make sure he doesn't forget it XD
Also if I'm estimating I'd say his mouth circumference is the size of a small pea. But I was to understand the toxin is secreted into the water directly in a milky cloud, not in their flesh or fins, guess I'll have to do more reading lol 🤣

Thanks for helping again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts