Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, not a planned purchase. Meet Ouro short for Ouroborus (you'll see why in pictures)

Popped into an Aquatic Centre near me looking for some food for Kojin when I spotted this guys again, he was being kept in a tiny Hexagonal Tank (has been for at least a month), along with some Corydoras (didn't notice what type but same size as him 5cmish), snails and shrimp, one moss ball, lights, filter, heater.... the entire thing was roughly the size of a 15cm cube. Also tested his water as he was very very erratic (rushing in his bag, doing "crocodile rolls" and found that the water parameters were terrible (Ammonia at 4.4PPM)

I added Tank Water (room temperature) to his bag, took out 50% and repeated until i tested the water at 0.4PPM so have added some stress coat and Capatta to my 8G, he is currently now sat floating in the tank within the bag. He is still very frantic within the bag but is calming down and I am looking forwards to releasing him in little over an hour.

So onto the name, Ouro this is clearly a short form of Ouroborus (the snake that eats his own tail) once I can take some decent photographs of Ouro I will show his initial state as best I can.
Damage I noticed was to the following

Dorsal Fin - Looks as though most is missing, if not then small Dorsal Fin with lots of tears/bites
Ventral Fins - Both sides look very tattered like it's been caught in a filter.
Anal Fin - Very Tatty, along length is tears and bites
Caudal Fin - Again a right mess, the webbing is very uneven but also looks as though each "tendrill" has been at least nibbled with a few look stripped of fins in total.

Other than that he is a very fine looking Tri Colour Crown Tail?

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bless you for taking him in, I'm sure that he will get better soon. Is his swimming affected at all? He is magnificent though!
Thanks mate, I really hope so. He crawled towards me in that little tank so I'm taking that as a sign we were meant to be. He is still in the bag at the minute but will eb watching closely when I let him go in the next 30 minutes or so. He seems better now with the Temperature in the larger tank. I'm worried he'll be overawed by the space lol. Need to get the 2.6G set up just incase

·
Registered
564 Posts
Poor little chap!

I hope he continues to do well.

What a miserable start for him. It can only get better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks mate, I really hope so. He crawled towards me in that little tank so I'm taking that as a sign we were meant to be. He is still in the bag at the minute but will eb watching closely when I let him go in the next 30 minutes or so. He seems better now with the Temperature in the larger tank. I'm worried he'll be overawed by the space lol. Need to get the 2.6G set up just incase
His tank looks great! He's beautiful

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, here is my welcome to work this morning. Recognises me already and managed a very small breakfast (two pre-soaked Bug Bite Pellets) He doesn't mind the snails as long as they're not on his glass..... He has also laboured to the top for air

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,349 Posts
He is either a bi-color or multi-color.

I love the white on his head. My favorite Betta are piebalds.

If you can up his current or add an airstone to better oxygenate the water he will not need to go to the top to breathe but will, instead use his gills. At least that is IME.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks @RussellTheShihTzu I'm looking forwards to see how he develops. He does have an air stone, it's at the back of the tank behind the large Slate Slabs. He has a nice secluded spot back there out of line of sight from anything. He's spending less and less time there now which is nice to see and is routinely making trips to the top to breath (mostly over the flat top slate - Betta's and shallow area's). I'm feeling confident that I can make the trip home with him at the end of the week now.

He has also started to use the top of the filter as a resting spot.

In other good news, no new tail biting. Looks a bit worse then he did on Friday but so happy to see him active and eating

His colours are a lot different to what I had expected, he looks more pastel in real life

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good to see him up and about, saw the Instagram video as well. Looks a bit shaky but all in all sooo much better. You taking him back to yours for Christmas still? Also got a load of spare driftwood if you're still wanting

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Mate, thanks for the wood but I think I should have enough to scrape together a 2.5g scape with what I have. I hope to be able to take him home, I have ordered an automatic fish feeder just on the off chance I don't want to move him but I think it's too big for his food. I'll have till Friday to work something out. Even if I have to use some of Kojin's old water to jump start a cycle

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Good of you for giving him a home! He's a beauty, I'm rooting for him. I love finding diamonds in the rough - My Shim came home with practically no tail, only a string - it grew out splendiferously within a few weeks, only for him to trim it *sigh* down again but he's happier with his preferred length.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good of you for giving him a home! He's a beauty, I'm rooting for him. I love finding diamonds in the rough - My Shim came home with practically no tail, only a string - it grew out splendiferously within a few weeks, only for him to trim it *sigh* down again but he's happier with his preferred length.
Thanks, I made the mistake of going back into the store at lunch time today, guess what? They had another Crowntail in that horrific tiny hexagon tank. It's in pretty good shape in all honesty and at least the tank is now no longer in the main thoroughfare so the fish seems a lot less stressed then Ouro is. I'm going to keep my eye on him but the rest (with the exception of the females) seem to be in really good health

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks, I made the mistake of going back into the store at lunch time today, guess what? They had another Crowntail in that horrific tiny hexagon tank. It's in pretty good shape in all honesty and at least the tank is now no longer in the main thoroughfare so the fish seems a lot less stressed then Ouro is. I'm going to keep my eye on him but the rest (with the exception of the females) seem to be in really good health
Urgh I hate that, do you think that this store does it on purpose so that people see the fish in plight and snap them up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts