Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went in looking for a heater and browsed the bettas. They had a really nice King HM with dragon scale and I was going to get it, but taking into consideration that I felt my tank was already too small for a betta I barely even glanced over before I saw this boy.

In the picture he looks black but I don't have a lot of light in the room. He is really a royal blue with a dark orange tint to his fins.

His name came from my friend who thought his fins resembled the Portal colors, and I liked the name Portal, but I wanted my finned friend to have some sort of name that had a Transformers Homeage.

And so, meet Portal Prime.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7218903948/

I let him accomodate for an hour after I let the heater run. His tank is FINALLY at a steady 78 degrees. When I let him in he was trying to turn and flare at me (He really likes to flare!) he sort of rolled out of the cup xD

Now what I think is weird already is that I actually was expecting him to be all frenzied and lethargic, or freaked out. He has been calm, and even watching me whenever I move after he took a few laps around the tank. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=101599 <---will show you my current setup + a new neon silk plant

He even ate a few pellets :eek: *squeal* I love him so much. I can observe him all night!!!

Also, if someone can PM me or message me here about how his finnage is? I have plenty more pictures but I'm a bit worried about how heavy his dorsal looks....also, what is his color classified as? :eek:

P.S - keep an eye on the flickr page!! I'm uploading more pics :D

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Sorry to intrude... But anything smaller than 5 gallons for a single betta is a no no. Although 2.5 is the absolute LEAST- I am one of the many people that recommend 5 gallon, heated filtered tanks.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I already know this. But I have a thread up somewhere that shows how I got the tank (was a 'starter' gift from parents), and it's all I'm going to have for a few days, if not a little longer -w-

Plus I'm willing to change the water every few days to keep the ammonia down and I got a couple gallons of hospital water all set up if anything happens. :D But so far Portal Prime doesn't seem distressed at all.

Was worried he would start chomping fins but he even ate 3 pellets this morning. All is good, especially since it's my day off :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry to intrude... But anything smaller than 5 gallons for a single betta is a no no. Although 2.5 is the absolute LEAST- I am one of the many people that recommend 5 gallon, heated filtered tanks.

Good luck! :)
Your information is false. The absolute minimum for a betta fish is 1 gallon. Anything under that cannot be regularly maintained for heat or water conditions. 1 gallon tanks require a lot of work but can be held as a proper betta home if the owner is strict and willing to do regular maintenance. Tanks with less than 1 gallon of water, however, are deadly and should not be sold at pet stores for long-term housing purposes. While you may recommend a 5 gallon, it is not a rule.

You also do not NEED a filter. It just helps.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't use anything less than 5 for a single betta either but that's personal preference. Like Sivan said, 1 gallon is the absolute minimum because of heating and also anything smaller would just get poluted so often you'd have to change the water daily 100% which would just stress the fish to no end. 1.5 is a good starter tank for a single betta and I'm sure Portal Prime will be very happy in his new home :) He's very gorgeous! Double tail? Amazing colouring! His dorsal looks fine to me, Ky has very heavy finnage too and he does ok.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't use anything less than 5 for a single betta either but that's personal preference. Like Sivan said, 1 gallon is the absolute minimum because of heating and also anything smaller would just get poluted so often you'd have to change the water daily 100% which would just stress the fish to no end. 1.5 is a good starter tank for a single betta and I'm sure Portal Prime will be very happy in his new home :) He's very gorgeous! Double tail? Amazing colouring! His dorsal looks fine to me, Ky has very heavy finnage too and he does ok.
That's a relief x.x I was kinda of worried at first. Watching him now, and it seems when he makes a turn that is too sharp, his dorsal kind of tips him over xD

Going to have to do a water change tonight though. The water is cloudy and I can't stand cloudy water x.x Time to scrub the decor!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Absolutly beautiful fishy!!..& so funny im yur vid yu noticed him seesim his reflection in the stones I have the same ones..no need to change..he will get used to it..our sammy loves to see his every once in a while..:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
He's quite a handsome fish! Personally, I think you should get the biggest tank you can maintain and have room for, just to give your fish room to swim. Right now I have some two gallons, a three gallon and a 6.6 gallon. Like others said, if you are good with more frequent water changes and monitoring, anything at a gallon or more will work. Good luck with the new guy! :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts