Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Rigel is named after the Blue star Beta Orionis - the brightest in the constellation Orion.

I'm not sure what goes into these hybrids, but he looks to me like Mahachai. Maybe some Smaragdina or Imbellis in the mix?

Only had him a few days and while quite shy at first, he's now zipping around and being quirky. :)

photo #1 is his pic from the vendor.

#2 photo of Rigel the star.

#3. Zippy (nickname) in his temporary quarters. He's small, fast, and hard to capture.

#4. I caught him napping on some plants haha.

#5. His temp quarters = a 2 gallon drum bowl with four kinds of live plants, a heater and filter, and 10% w/c daily.

#6. Rigel's future home waiting to be planted (sorry about the glare). Filter cycling separately.

#7. different angle

* yes, the next Betta will be called Betelgeuse *wink*

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
A fitting namesake, his colors resemble it greatly. I hope you get many years enjoyment from Rigel; he is one beautiful betta and will always be the star of his tank.

Betelgeuse, to me, will always mean "Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse!" The dual meaning would make a great name for a Hallow's Eve betta 馃槈! You probably want some time between bettas though, while you get Rigel's home ready. Have fun!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
@darcyj Thanks! I'm glad you got the humor - it all started because of the "Alien" theme And the star really IS called Beta Orionis. And one of my favorite Sci Fi writers of all time - Isaac Assimov - featured Rigel in his material.

Who invented the use of "Alien" to describe Betta anyway? Lol.

Rigel's going to be sharing that tank with at least a dozen Chilli Rasboras. He's not aggressive at all - doesn't even flare at a mirror. Not positive but I think that's the Mahachai in him (small + peaceful).

Isn't "Betelgeuse" fun to say?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts