Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I would like you to meet Rowe.
I will apologize if I have placed this in the wrong thread...this old dinosaur couldnt figure out how to start one and believe this might need to be moved; sorry mods.

Rowe was adopted here on bettafish.com from one of our members, Aizui, who rescued him. He had been biting his fins and had terrible swim bladder.

He arrived here yesterday afternoon and tonight seems to be a bit more relaxed, often coming to the sides of the tank to watch whats going on in the room.

He is a big boy and his colors are quite fascinating: abit of turquoise, orchid, rust, silver and almost appears to have some marbling???? or are they birthmarks????? :doh!:

Can anyone tell me what type of betta he might be? :nerd:
And: what should I be doing to treat not only the tattered fins but to watch for the re-occurance of SB? I used Aquarium Salt to treat LittleMans shredded fins and after 5 months they look excellent. Should I continue this type of treatment for Rowe or would that salt have interaction with his past SB???

I have been feeding my other 2 boys, 4 pellets, split up during the day on, Mon, Wed, Fri( a variety of Atison Pro, NLS and Omega One. Saturday nites they get a couple frozen blood worms.)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ooh, he's very nice! AQ salt is good for tattered fins but I think it does aggravate SBD. I think he's a double tail, and those are more prone to bloat/SBD. I personally think it's best to feed a fish everyday, twice a day, but I'm not sure if there's a right/wrong about it. Also, I've never owned a double tail and they might need different feeding schedules because of the bloat issue. Congrats on your new fish!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moody.
I hope he stays well, I don't think I over feed.

Wonder if just a pinch of a.salt , like an 1/8 th teaspoon would be mild enough in the water changes?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow, kind of bummed...Rowe has had more than 60 views since posting and no one other than Moody offered any ideas.....bummed out for sure.

I was seriously hoping there might be some ideas about how to treat / prevent or balance issues of fin healing with propensity for swim bladder.
ie.....aquarium salt, external..... epsom salt, internal.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm not sure about the AQ salt, I'm no expert on SBD, but I do know that at this point his fins should heal with warm clean water and time. I don't think you overfeed at all either, I've just heard you have to be careful with double tails. I'm sorry no one more experienced posted, but hopefully you're on the right track! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clean water, high protein diet, and just watch for any signs of finrot. He is a doubletail and they can be prone to swimbladder disease and other buoyancy problems - so just feed him more carefully. He seems to have some marbling, but it's hard to tell with the lighting in his pics.

He is a gorgeous boy, I'm glad he's got a great home with you. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for stopping by, I think it may be wiser for me to stick with the Actions, they are much smaller pellets. Going to try some frozen bloodworms tonight, see if he will take them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You might also want to try frozen daphnia, they're good for cleaning out a bettas digestive system and are excellent for SBD prone fishies.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
What is daphinia, a plant or bug?

Technically it is a tiny crustacean, very tiny. They can be found near frozen bloodworms at the petshop. I think they look brown in the package. People use them as a tasty treat but it is also recommended as a more natural way to help with SBD in bettas.
I would be careful with the AQ salt, as mentioned before, it does have a chance to make SBD worse. For bloat you want to stick with Epsom salt.
Also if it was me I would fast him one day a week, usually it is only recommended for bettas being fed cheaper foods but because he is prone to SBD I would do it anyways. You can always stop the fasting day if it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok hey thanks Aluyasha, appreciate that, I will look for it.
By the way, if you know....are frozen bloodworms a pro or a con for helping with SBD in betta?????

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I haven't really heard frozen bloodworms help or hurting with SBD. But they are good for them protein wise, and high protein would help him out. Though I think they should still just be treated as a snack.

·
Super Moderator
19,871 Posts
Instead of salt use Seachem Stress Guard to treat tattered fins. I would not add salt to a tank with a fish with potential internal issues like SBD. And, like a dog with gastric torsion tendencies, Betta with SBD need several small meals every day; no skipped days.

And try to be patient. Just because people read a thread doesn't mean they have or can give advice. We have 10 times as many lurkers as we do members on at a time and they are counted in the "read" stats even though they can't post.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Instead of salt use Seachem Stress Guard to treat tattered fins. I would not add salt to a tank with a fish with potential internal issues like SBD. And, like a dog with gastric torsion tendencies, Betta with SBD need several small meals every day; no skipped days.

And try to be patient. Just because people read a thread doesn't mean they have or can give advice. We have 10 times as many lurkers as we do members on at a time and they are counted in the "read" stats even though they can't post.
Ok seachem it is, no salt for him. Would the additive be used until the fins are healed and only for water changes? I'm using Prime for the conditioner.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok seachem it is, no salt for him. Would the additive be used until the fins are healed and only for water changes? I'm using Prime for the conditioner.

Also, would it be prudent to stick with Atisons tiny pellets or the MLS or OMEGA?

·
Super Moderator
19,871 Posts
Also, would it be prudent to stick with Atisons tiny pellets or the MLS or OMEGA?

I only buy my Betta online. Sometimes they will bite their fins intransit. I generally use Stress Guard for 10 days or until I can see the fins are starting to regenerate. Sometimes the fins will look clear as they regenerate so it's hard to see. IME, it is a superior product to the ones API makes. Check this out to see how Stress Guard works:

Seachem - StressGuard

I think whatever he will eat is fine. I feed NLS every day along with a variety of frozen and live food as I all of my Betta are in community tanks. Frozen Daphnia is on the menu once per week. I don't think frozen Bloodworms will do any harm. IMO, the added protein helps with healing. I use a pipette to feed the frozen food so I can direct them at the Betta. After a while they will realize what the pipette means and attack it. :) BTW, despite the frozen and live my Betta will all still eat the NLS.

Good luck; he's a beautiful boy.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only buy my Betta online. Sometimes they will bite their fins intransit. I generally use Stress Guard for 10 days or until I can see the fins are starting to regenerate. Sometimes the fins will look clear as they regenerate so it's hard to see. IME, it is a superior product to the ones API makes. Check this out to see how Stress Guard works:

Seachem - StressGuard

I think whatever he will eat is fine. I feed NLS every day along with a variety of frozen and live food as I all of my Betta are in community tanks. Frozen Daphnia is on the menu once per week. I don't think frozen Bloodworms will do any harm. IMO, the added protein helps with healing. I use a pipette to feed the frozen food so I can direct them at the Betta. After a while they will realize what the pipette means and attack it. :) BTW, despite the frozen and live my Betta will all still eat the NLS.

Good luck; he's a beautiful boy.
This is great info, I will definitely take and utilize this well explained product and suggestions therein.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts