Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never and will never buy a fish from a chain like meijer or walmart. But I do shop there for other things, I've been there a few times in the past month or so and always go to the pet section to look at the betas and buy toys or accessories for my two dogs. I scanned every betta and 100% of them were not active, floating lifelessly at the bottom of their tiny bowls, on top of that… they all had yellow water with clearly tons of leftover food and feces at the bottom. I was grossed out. Right when I thought i couldn't get any worse, I saw that a few of the betas were clearly deceased. One of them was floating at the bottom, with fungus and bacteria growing from his body, it was so sick to me. Children walk past and look at those fish, some of them even purchase them and keep them in their tiny half gallon bowls… I mean, this is appalling to me as a betta lover. When I bought my Finn, he was in a 55+ gallon aquarium with other fish. (not betas). It's sad to me that stores like this carry these fish and I think we all need to speak up as betta lovers and express how we feel they should not carry betas, (and probably any other fish) in mega marts. Any ideas?!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That's terrible. There is a Meijer near me (I'm in MI too) that takes GREAT care of their fish. The bettas are almost always in super clean water, and they rotate them so ones that have been there a while get placed near the top.

However, there is another Meijer near my work that is a disgrace, just like you're describing. It's criminal.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
laws for fish is a tricky one, they are not subject to the same animal cruely laws as say a cage of puppies would be.

Your best bets lie in using social media and petitions- companies dont give a fig unless they are losing money. Snap a picture- date it and send it out into the world. even compile several and hand it to managment with a list of everything wrong with them and a grand total at the bottom of how much lost revenue those fish cost them by their store apathy.

You need to think like a store- they ignore angry customers but listen when they are forced to look at their bottom line

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its so sad what people can do to fish..my heart goes out to all those poor fish who never know what it's like to be cared for and loved. :( I agree with the two posts above me...businesses are more likely to respond to the fact their losing money than the welfare of a $3 fish..so sad but true.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Walmart near my college is HORRIBLE with their fish. They usually only have up to 5 bettas at a time though, but even those have left over food and feces just sitting on the bottom of the cups. Their other fish tanks always have tons of dead fish floating in them. Last week we went and I was looking and found a bag of dead fish just sitting in the sink. It's awful. I agree with what they all said, however something else to do to immediately help at least some of the fish is to in fact buy a fish from them. I, personally, have decided that I will always try to get my bettas from Walmart just for the fact that they should all know what it's like to truly have a good home and be well cared for. You may not be able to save all of them, but at least some of them. I understand we don't all have the money to buy medication for the really bad cases but you can always try your best. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is there any way that the IBC which is the International Betta Congress can lobby our government regarding fish laws? I know that some of you are members? As for Meijer which I have never heard of here in Florida; just post bad pictures on social media and this will hopefully get their attention or better yet send pictures to their corporate office wherever it maybe. I know Walmart's corporate headquarters are in Bentonville, Arkansas.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Lovee, while your heart is in the right place, the betta you buy will be replaced by another poor soul, and someone else with your awesome mindset will buy that one to save it from the misery. But then the store gets exactly what they want, which is profit. And they will keep supplying these bettas in these bad conditions because people are buying them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lovee, while your heart is in the right place, the betta you buy will be replaced by another poor soul, and someone else with your awesome mindset will buy that one to save it from the misery. But then the store gets exactly what they want, which is profit. And they will keep supplying these bettas in these bad conditions because people are buying them.

I agree with that , we should stop the fish abuse and show the stores how they should really be keept, however Im like that too If i see a sick fish Ill try to buy it, luckily Im full so no fish shopping at the moment, however I think it really just that particular store because Ive been to many petsmarts(Im in CAN. so walmart doesnt sell fish & I dont have that other store) however petsmart sometimes takes really bad care of there fish, one close to me almost always has atleast 3 dead ones on there sheleves and others with fin rot/ amonia posioning and a whole list of other things, however the one a bit away from me takes EXCELENT care of there fish, clean water always and healthy fish, so I think its just those employes at that store, I think your best bet is to talk to the manager about the things you are seeing and explain how cruel and how there losing money by having fish so they should just not carry them, altho thats just my opion , just thought like sharing, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with that , we should stop the fish abuse and show the stores how they should really be keept, however Im like that too If i see a sick fish Ill try to buy it, luckily Im full so no fish shopping at the moment, however I think it really just that particular store because Ive been to many petsmarts(Im in CAN. so walmart doesnt sell fish & I dont have that other store) however petsmart sometimes takes really bad care of there fish, one close to me almost always has atleast 3 dead ones on there sheleves and others with fin rot/ amonia posioning and a whole list of other things, however the one a bit away from me takes EXCELENT care of there fish, clean water always and healthy fish, so I think its just those employes at that store, I think your best bet is to talk to the manager about the things you are seeing and explain how cruel and how there losing money by having fish so they should just not carry them, altho thats just my opion , just thought like sharing, thanks for listening.
Thanks to everyone for responding!!! Finally I found a community of people who care about bettas as much as I do. I wouldn't give a place with sick fish business, period. It's the wrong approach. I was at petco the other day in my local area, and all bettas had clean water were happy and healthy for the most part. It looked like they knew what was up. Meijer is a megastore, kind of like walmart, but with more grocery items and unfortunately a fish section. I don't think petco or petsmart is the enemy, (although they sure as hell can be), but its rather the walmarts and other stores that aren't PET stores, selling these fish. Its sad to see. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Walmart near my college is HORRIBLE with their fish. They usually only have up to 5 bettas at a time though, but even those have left over food and feces just sitting on the bottom of the cups. Their other fish tanks always have tons of dead fish floating in them. Last week we went and I was looking and found a bag of dead fish just sitting in the sink. It's awful. I agree with what they all said, however something else to do to immediately help at least some of the fish is to in fact buy a fish from them. I, personally, have decided that I will always try to get my bettas from Walmart just for the fact that they should all know what it's like to truly have a good home and be well cared for. You may not be able to save all of them, but at least some of them. I understand we don't all have the money to buy medication for the really bad cases but you can always try your best. :)
I don't think giving these places business is the right thing to do, although you try your hardest. Theres a local pet store by my house with just fish and I talked to one of the sales people about this problem and she was well aware of it and appalled (she's the owner of 10 bettas). She told me that she has STOLEN fish from meijer and rehabilitated them and even adopted some out but that she would never give them money for the fish because that encourages the practice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The only way to stop Meijer from selling betta fishes is to shame them on social media and email your pictures to their corporate headquarters. What is Meijer compared too by the way? I don't think that state of Florida has a single Meijer at least not in the Orlando metro area. Is it a Midwest store only? Just have to search them on the internet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Except the profit from bettas themselves is minimal. The money's in the tanks and decor they sell to people who've just been hooked on an inexpensive "low-maintenance" fish. The betta's the hook, not the product. I'd argue that buying one on its own does little to no harm. Just don't buy things of tangible value there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Except the profit from bettas themselves is minimal. The money's in the tanks and decor they sell to people who've just been hooked on an inexpensive "low-maintenance" fish. The betta's the hook, not the product. I'd argue that buying one on its own does little to no harm. Just don't buy things of tangible value there.
That's still encouraging them that the product is worth in continuing to sell. In business it's the numbers that count… And last time I went to Meijer (3 days ago), more than half the bettas were DEAD.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought my betta at Meijer. I do agree, most of the time the fish are not taken care of. However, I don't think simply just not buying fish will do much. Little kids and whoever else will still buy them, so education and making a scene (such as social media like someone suggested) of it is probably the best way to go about getting something done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's still encouraging them that the product is worth in continuing to sell. In business it's the numbers that count… And last time I went to Meijer (3 days ago), more than half the bettas were DEAD.
Not buying the fish will make no difference to their profit. They don't care in the slightest whether you do or not. They care whether you buy a tank and gravel and food and little plastic tree.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd have to agree with everyone on this one. I mean, these are huge mega stores. Their major profit doesn't come from any fish anything. It's in everything else. They probably don't even bother to look at the numbers from fish sales. I don't buy any type of supplies from Walmart because they have crappy stuff anyway.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The buzzwords are addons and package deals- that is why you see set ups with 'free male betta included' on the sign.

This however can be a better draw for a business- if they can convince people to get the BIGGER tank and the NICER decorations for that fish they get more money- but to do that the fish has to be pretty darn special. In this regard sometimes an aquarium is better because the men working it are on comission- they want to sell you that big tank just because it means profit for them and the store.

The problem is that retailers like walmart cater to people who want to spend as little as possible. Creating a package kit that the fish can live in happily even from cobbling together things in the store (for instance a cheap but pretty 3 gallon vase instead of the betta gallon tub) still goes over the 20 to 30 dollar price range of their target audience.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree with you there. But then we should also look at the procucts that they sell for the bettas as the "ideal home"... everyone knows those kits are almost always terrible for the fish

1 - 20 of 25 Posts