Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw Petco selling Mermaid Bettas, are these a “new” type of betta or are they a certain type a betta with a different characteristic… and Petco is marketing them as a ”new” breed?
Can someone tell me more about the Mermaid Betta? Are they all the same color ?Are there differences in males and females other than size? Are they delicate or hardy?
Thanks
Jenn

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sounds like a commercial thing to me unless it's a new mutation on a tail type. I haven't seen anything about it, but it sounds interesting. I will keep looking. Dr. Martin Brammah's book, The Betta Bible, has a pic of a swordtail betta, which is very different looking as an example of how breeders are always trying to breed out something new.

If you see another one, could you post a pic? I would love to see one... :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is what petco calls a specific coloring of veil tail bettas. They seem to sell four now: blue, red , “mermaid” pink/ blue marble or bicolor veiltail and what they call “cambodian” which is just a pastel veil tail. Only petco uses this term.

they recently removed mermaid from their website and subbed it with cambodian. But I have been seeing mermaid in my store still.
Just like they call mustard gas type coloring “paradise bettas” now at petco.

care is the same as all veil tails. Their tails are not as heavy as the more popular tails of the moment and are kind of classic, original pet store betta. Females have smaller finS than males. It is my understanding they are no longer shown. Personally, I like veil tails. Just do a google search to see the differences. Care is like all bettas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is what petco calls a specific coloring of veil tail bettas. They seem to sell four now: blue, red , “mermaid” pink/ blue marble or bicolor veiltail and what they call “cambodian” which is just a pastel veil tail. Only petco uses this term.

they recently removed mermaid from their website and subbed it with cambodian. But I have been seeing mermaid in my store still.
Just like they call mustard gas type coloring “paradise bettas” now at petco.

care is the same as all veil tails. Their tails are not as heavy as the more popular tails of the moment and are kind of classic, original pet store betta. Females have smaller finS than males. It is my understanding they are no longer shown. Personally, I like veil tails. Just do a google search to see the differences. Care is like all bettas.
thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a commercial thing to me unless it's a new mutation on a tail type. I haven't seen anything about it, but it sounds interesting. I will keep looking. Dr. Martin Brammah's book, The Betta Bible, has a pic of a swordtail betta, which is very different looking as an example of how breeders are always trying to breed out something new.

I actually just bought one today, still called mermaid in the store, but can’t really find anything online about it. Agree it must just be a petco term. Here’s my new guy though!

Liquid Hood Beak Fluid Purple

1 - 10 of 10 Posts