Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So I know one of the reasons you have a light in a fish tank is to simulate day and night. And to turn if off at night time to allow your fish to think it is night time.

Well I work at a store when the store is open from 8am-12am, and as a supervisor I can work a range of hours from 7am-12am.

Problem is, I live in an attic type suite, that I guess you can call a loft, I only have one seperate room, and that is the bathroom...Well usually when if I close, I don't get home until 1am, and most of the time, I stay up for a couple of hours before I go to bed, and I turn on the light, and my fish can clearly see the light.

The only time there are normal hour lights on is when I open a store, because I go to bed at 8pm, and wake up at 530am.

What do these hours do to Poseidon? He seemes healthy, and it doesn't look like the odd hours are doing anything bad to him...are these messed up hours bad at all?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I keep Mesmer up till 2 usually and turn on his light around 8 on t-r and around 11 on other days. He doesn't mind at all, except on other days he's usually awake before then cuz natural daylight.
As long as the schedule is relatively consistent, say 8am-11pm some days and 10am-2am other days, it's fine

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, because even if I come home and go straight to bed, I still have to turn on lights, and I never catch him sleeping, because I woke him. Most of the time I go a week with only open shifts, and a week with closing shifts, because of how late and how early the store is open, they don't do close open open close too often.

Or if I have a friend over, we sometimes are awake till 5am, but that's maybe once or twice a month that that happens.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It can mess with their health if the hours are not consistent. An option is to have his light on a timer, and then when you are at home during times his light is supposed to be off, you can cover his tank with a dark, but breathable, cloth.

·
Banned
580 Posts
It can mess with their health if the hours are not consistent. An option is to have his light on a timer, and then when you are at home during times his light is supposed to be off, you can cover his tank with a dark, but breathable, cloth.
I would go with this option ... I work 930-6 and my lights are on when I leave at 830 and I turn them off when I get home like 630 --- but my lights and the tv is on till i go to bed usually 11/12pm

I did have the lights on a timer but it took a poop and i havent replaced it. when I get a new timer i have them on for 6 hrs and they usually turn off no later then 8/9pm so that way im home and then leave the blue light on for an hour to help transition to total darkness

·
Super Moderator
2,777 Posts
Here's what I do with Mishi who's in my bedroom.
The bedroom lamp is behind his tank, that side is always covered so once his overhead light goes off, all he gets is ambient or reflected light.
When I'm home, his entire tank gets covered at 10:30pm (with the exception of a little opening in front).
When I'm not home, I have a low intensity light across the room that's set to go off at 10:30pm.

I try to keep him as consistent as possible given my odd schedule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts