Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, I went to a pet store today in hopes of finding a platinum CT, they've had them a few times, but unfortunately they only had platinum EE Plackets. But while I was in there looking at the plants...this lady and her son, who was about 5 or 6 came by the Bettas, and he picks out this little pastel purple and red VT that reminded me so much of how Acheron looked when I brought him, they went to the manager, and told her which one they wanted. I overheard the lady say this was her son's first fish so she wanted one that was easy to care for. The manager then goes over and grabs a plastic cup and said "just give him a bit of water and he can survive in this." she didn't suggest any food or conditioner, or give them any information about Betta fish.

I pulled up the kid and told him I have one that looks the same as the little guy he was holding and if he wanted to see what he'd look like in a couple weeks in a "bigger home with plants" and showed him a picture of Acheron, they both seemed amazed by how big of a colour change it would be and also told them how old Acheron was. I told his mother about the living arrangements that Bettas need, the type of food and conditioner. She thanked me but I have no idea if she listened to me or the manager. But she was looking at the food and conditioners when I left.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I always admire the people who stand up for these helpless little fish. Good on you :) I hope the mother heeded your advice!

I'll never understand why people put bettas in crappy living conditions. Most times the tiny tanks are priced the same or higher than a 10 gallon and the betta ends up looking sickly, lethargic and dull. The whole appeal of bettas is their beautiful forms, vibrant colors and feisty attitudes!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think you handled that well. :)
The manager is stupid. Not only is it easier to care for a betta in a bigger tank, look at all the stuff he legitimately could have sold her!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts