Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to set up a 2.5 gal tank. dose anyone know what types of small fish are good for a 2.5 gal? How many fish can I have? would a beta be able to live in this tank if i have other fish like tetras? Im thinking of getting a half moon if i do get a male betta. Haven't had one sense my last one died. Any Ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You could safely do 1 betta and possibly some shrimp.

Most species of fish require more water since they breathe from air in the water and not directly from the surface like bettas.

I wouldn't suggest a 2.5 gallon for anything other than a betta, shrimp, and/or a snail.

You have to keep in mind the bioload of each organism you put into the tank, and whether or not the work to keep the tank at healthy levels is worth the stress on them or not.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A tank that small would be best suited for 1 Betta! Male or Female :) Nothing else could really go in the tank with him. And as far as I know it wouldn't be suitable for anything other than 1 Betta! Sorry if I'm corrected on that :-D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tank will be properly filtered, heated, lighted, and im working on getting a bubble pump because i have thought about the issue of oxygen levels in the water. Will that Help?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You would still be changing out a lot of water to keep levels of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate down.

A filter does not fully take care of these. Again, keep in mind about the stress of water changes and if how much you would need to do to keep everything safe would be worth it to keep the fish healthy and stress free. Stressful fish become sick fish, and poor water conditions exacerbate this.

Overall, I think it is not a good idea to attempt any other fish in a 2.5 gallon, regardless of filtration, than a betta.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A Snail or two would be ok right? Ive decided on just one betta and a snail. And dose anyone know where I would be able to purchase something like a double tail betta or a half moon? Ive always thought double tails were very interesting. And half moons or half suns are very pretty. Its gonna be a tough choice ^_^

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You can purchase doubletails from online sites, like aquabid.com, or Petco and you can purchase halfmoons from aquabid.com, Petco, and/or Petsmart. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
It will be very hard to maintain the cycle in a 2.5g with only one betta let alone a snail.

If you want tank mates or to secure your cycle up to 5 gallon. The tanks cost the same anyway if not only a couple/few more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I think ill try aquabid.com. I don't really like the way petsmart and perform treat there animals. Thanks.for the help

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'd advise choosing shrimp over a snail. Snails have a large bioload, so they need extra water changes. If you do go for a snail, choose a nice small Nerite, not a mystery.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For a tank that size stay with one fish. I wouldn't tempt a shrimp in a tank that size with a Betta (well at least my Bettas). In that small of a tank the ghost will not have many places to hide or be able to stay clear of the Betta. He will probably become a snack in that tank.

The snail is going to lead to even more maintenance that a 2.5 gallon already requires. Snails carry a high bioload as previously mentioned meaning they crap a lot.

Out of the two I would go for the shrimp. It'll probably be a snack, but a the same time your Betta will probably like it. If you go with the shrimp get the biggest one possible to minimize the chance it becomes a snack rather than a tank mate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts