Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am thinking about creating some 3.75 gal betta tanks out of sterilite containers and I was just wondering if they are deep enough.

Sterilite - 1753: 15 Quart ClearView Latch™ Box

Those are the ones I am looking at. They're 3.75 gal. 17" L x 11 1/8" W x 6 1/2" H

Is 6 1/2 deep enough? That's my concern. I'm trying to find something taller around the same size but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
16.5 cm. . Hm.

I would say no. Just my opinion, wild Bettas live in shallow but wide rice paddies. But if you add substrate that'll minus a couple of inches. . So in the end, even for a Betta that's a bit too shallow.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I have a shallow tank that is only 18cms high and has around 2-3cm of substrate at the bottom. Coupled with the fact it isn't filled to the top, I would estimate I have between 12 (shallow end) - 15cms of water in it.

The male I have in there does fine, but the tank itself is 60cm long so gives him lots of room to swim around. I actually prefer shallow tanks as you can easily do ripariums or paludariums, and I don't need to get much of my arm wet.

It all comes down to personal preference really.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I think this is one of the sizes I use as a temp tank. Those crappy ceramic neon caves barely get covered by water - still better then a petco cup though. Since its shallow, I lay silk plants on their side for more hiding spots and a heater can go horizontally

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I think it would be fine. As KoiMaiden said, substrate isn't necessary, and it doesn't matter if your decorations stick out the water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm thinking about using these containers as homes for the male bettas:
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=645&view=0&picture=1&tab=Specifications&ProductCategory=254&section=1

They're about 7 gallons each.

Or these, which are around 5 gallons (a bit concerned on the height):

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=644&view=0&picture=1&tab=Specifications&ProductCategory=254&section=1

I'm looking for something permanent rather than temporary. Either of these look good? =D

ETA: Actually, I don't think those gallon estimates are right. I used an aquarium size calculator but based on the 15qt dimentions that seems really off. >.< Can't find a qt size listed for them, though.

·
Banned
138 Posts
bettas should probably have a minimum of 12inches height in their tank

those sterlite things look like crap for a fish tank.

you need a _fish tank_ not some plastic container where you put junk

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
12"+ is a lot of height in a tank. Bettas prefer long, shallow tanks as they do come to the top for air. Tall and narrow are less desired. There is such thing and too shallow, as well as too tall.

Anyways, I would use these as I have no issue with 3g tanks. AT ALL. I have seen members use these and have happy little fish. I also use the larger 25g Sterlite/Rubbermaid containers for lager tanks when needed. I like the 7g containers you posted as well, much more actually. But yes, I would use them, put a few glass rocks in the bottom to give it color and some nice plants. They do have small plants with suction cups on them, you could suction them to the side of the container on the first one you posted. Main thing is, can you heat them?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your right it isn't high, but you don't want a 5 gallon that is super tall and has almost no horizontal swimming room. Bettas need long tanks period. You don't want to put something that breaths atmospheric air in a tank that is too tall for the fish to go back and get more air. It just causes more problems.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
But the point is that Bettas prefer long and wide tanks rather than tall and narrow tanks.

In wild, Bettas live in shallow but giant rice paddies. The lack of oxygen for in these paddies is why they have their labyrinth organ. Having too tall of tanks are bad for Bettas, they like lots of horizontal swimming space. :l

·
Banned
138 Posts
Your right it isn't high, but you don't want a 5 gallon that is super tall and has almost no horizontal swimming room. Bettas need long tanks period. You don't want to put something that breaths atmospheric air in a tank that is too tall for the fish to go back and get more air. It just causes more problems.
yeah i wouldnt suggest a tank with a super small footprint. i dont even like those 5gals that are hexagon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using plastic bins to house Bettas. Many people use them as a cheaper and lighter alternative to regular aquariums. If you buy them brand new (so nothing possibly toxic has been inside) and wash it out good then you are good to go.

·
Banned
138 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using plastic bins to house Bettas. Many people use them as a cheaper and lighter alternative to regular aquariums. If you buy them brand new (so nothing possibly toxic has been inside) and wash it out good then you are good to go.
if you say so, but i think a container for storing odds and ends isnt what you should be putting a fish in.

it's ugly and i think if you are going to keep a pet you can atleast spend a few bucks on a real aquarium. if i was a breeder or needed a hospital tank [mine is a 1.5 gal acrylic tank] i might consider it.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I see nothing wrong with using plastic sterilite containers. I have big black ones I have used for grow-outs, guppies and a sorority.

They are good to have if you only need a temporary larger space (I don't have room to house or store four 2ft long tanks) and also give owners the opportunity to save their money and use it elsewhere on equipment or live plants etc.

I have a huge one I intend on using to house some medaka fish in next summer. To buy a tank or pre-made pond that size would have been an exorbitant waste of money.

Fish don't really care where they are housed, and I have seen many purpose-built tanks that look a heck of a lot uglier than a sterilite tub.

·
Registered
158 Posts
To be perfectly honest, even a fancy premade pond shell is just a glorified, more naturally shaped, storage container. Same thing goes for acrylic aquariums, IMHO. Glass doesn't change much from either of those options save for aesthetics, really.

·
Banned
138 Posts
To be perfectly honest, even a fancy premade pond shell is just a glorified, more naturally shaped, storage container. Same thing goes for acrylic aquariums, IMHO. Glass doesn't change much from either of those options save for aesthetics, really.

yeah but a real fishtank just looks better. and it's designed to keep fish.

sure the animal will survive in a container that's made for keeping junk and odds and ends. if you cant afford 35 bucks [or less] for a tank you shouldnt be in this hobby. lets face reality here.

if you're a breeder and you have a lot of fish around, fine i understand it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts