Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fish Salmon Boy. I bought him from PetSmart as a Dumbo Male. I had no doubts about his gender until now.

First of all, he's small. He's about 1 3/4 inches long. I have to slice his pellets into halves with a razor or else he won't eat them. Not only his size, but his fins are small too (besides his pectoral fin, of course).

The label on his jar that I bought him in only says Dumbo Male Betta. I know "dumbo" is actually a trait, not a species of betta. Maybe he's a plakat?

What kind of betta is Salmon Boy? Is he actually Salmon Girl?

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, also that. There is what seems to be an eggspot. After some research, I found some things that said that some males had what seemed to be eggspots, especially younger bettas. However, I have no way of telling if Salmon Boy is younger or not.

You can see it here:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Agreed with all the above, thats defnately a plakat male.

It's common for young males to have a flase egg spot, so as MattsBetta said, that's not an accurate way of determining your betta's gender. Some boys even keep their egg spots once they reach sexual maturity. Talk about being confused lol!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
It's worth noting that the "egg spots" we see in males are NOT egg spots... They're just an extension of the intestine, if I remember correctly. A much more accurate term would be false ovipositor or false eggspot. Doesn't really matter, but it can be confusing!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I thought I said false egg spot...? No? Okay haha...

That's really interesting though, I always just assumed that in males it was just a "spot" that was just there on top of the scales or something. Since they can lose is, I thought it just falls off... I would have never thought that that's their intestines gosh, now that I think about it, it's kinda gruesome. I'm just imagining a piece of intestines coming out of a betta like poop...

Yup, I should probably stop. It's past midnight and I'm half asleep picturing this in my mind lol

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
That wasn't really directed towards you, just as a general comment since saying males have eggspots could get confusing.

It's not really gruesome... I've even heard a theory that young males have it to look like females and avoid aggression from other males (though there are a few holes in that).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.