3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 3 black neon tetras and 6 pearl danios

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day. Probably a pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? 10%
What is the source of your water? Mix of tap and RO
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Aqueon no other additives

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

i dont have test strips i usually take it to pet store and theyalways say its perfectly good
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning. 01/01
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He is now missing a couple of scales on his head
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Hasnt changed at all
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I havent. I dont even know how
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Probably 10 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

when i woke up this morning duck was missing some scales on his head. I dont know what its from. I was thinking it would have been the danios but theyve never shown any aggression before. He does have two hides in there and i was also thinking he could have run into one during the night. He was perfectly fine when i went to bed but this morning when i turned the light on i noticed a patchof scales missing. I dont know whats happening please help

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! A couple things I'm noticing, -- I'd like to know what brand of food you're feeding your betta.

I personally would just utilize tap water. If it's good enough for you to drink, it's good enough for you to use, with the appropriate water dechlorinator/conditioner.

Is that aqueon additive an actual water conditioner similar to Seachem Prime?

You need to obtain either water parameter test strips (be sure and get the seperate ammonia one) or the API master kit. I've read that utilizing the pet store isn't the most reliable source of information.

Things with fish change, just as they change with other four-legged animals and with humans. If you see that anything changes you'll want to get the betta out of that tank. Additionally I'm repeatedly reading that danios like cooler temperature water than Bettas, and they can be nippy which is possibly what's happening here even if it didn't occur previously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! A couple things I'm noticing, -- I'd like to know what brand of food you're feeding your betta.

I personally would just utilize tap water. If it's good enough for you to drink, it's good enough for you to use, with the appropriate water dechlorinator/conditioner.

Is that aqueon additive an actual water conditioner similar to Seachem Prime?

You need to obtain either water parameter test strips (be sure and get the seperate ammonia one) or the API master kit. I've read that utilizing the pet store isn't the most reliable source of information.

Things with fish change, just as they change with other four-legged animals and with humans. If you see that anything changes you'll want to get the betta out of that tank. Additionally I'm repeatedly reading that danios like cooler temperature water than Bettas, and they can be nippy which is possibly what's happening here even if it didn't occur previously.
I feed him the fluval bug bites for bettas. The aqueon is just a water conditioner. He eats flakes he refuses to eat pellets. Ill get a water test kit, when i have the money. Ive been working up to it. I tried to do my research but there a lot of different opinions. I didnt know danios could nip. So far they havent been aggresive at all towards anything. If i have to remove the danios where could i put them? I tried to make the tank around the betta and get fish that were peaceful and took the same perameters.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
802 Posts
Are you adding minerals back to the water? Could we get a full tank pic?

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
He most likely scraped his head on something. Is there any place he could have gotten momentarily wedged? Can you post a photo of the entire tank? Doesn't matter if we can see fish.

For now, I would keep Indian Almond Leaves or plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea in his tank for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can float a leaf or teabag or brew a strong tea of either, add conditioner and pour into the tank until it is the color below. It won't hurt the other fish.

Duck appears awfully thin. Check the ingredients on his food. Unless some sort of whole fish or whole fish meal are the first ingredients you need to switch to something more nutritious: Fluval Bug Bites, NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum, Omega One, Aqueon Color or regular Betta Formula (not "Pro"). Those are the most readily available but the best is Grain Free Bug (Black Soldier Fly) Formula. It has no grains but is only available from the makers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts