Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok…bare with me. I know it’s frowned upon to not cycle a tank for 4-6 weeks. I also know it’s frowned upon to buy a Betta from a chain store like PetCo.

BUT….I’ve been thinking about this Betta for about a week and a half now. He looked pretty sad and I know they all look sad but this one I kept thinking about. I have no clue what’s going on with his skin? He was labeled as a King Halfmoon male. He’s fairly larger than my normal male Betta. My sister who is another animal lover advocate guilt tripped me in to getting him. I did not want another fish.

So I purchased everything including Seachem Stability (already have Prime). And have been (& will be) following the correct dosage and directions. I will test the water parameters tonight after work. I have the API Freshwater Master Kit. I did also use a bit of Aquarium Salt as well. I have IAL at home, it was late last night I forgot to toss one in. He seemed to be investigating his new home. Swimming casually, did zip a few times when I walked past his tank to check on him. Ate fine last night and this morning. He did hide for a bit but I’ve been keeping the lights off. Any thoughts? Some Help is welcome! Thanks!!!

-Sarah

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gal.
How long has the tank been running? 16 hrs.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Not yet
What is the water temperature? 78.4 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? None (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? New water
How much of the water do you change? N/A
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, Stability, Aquarium Salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip? N/A - but normally both.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: Haven’t tested yet
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x daily
How much do you feed your fish? 10-14 pellets daily
What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Spectrum Betta pellets, Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, Fluval Bug Bites, Betta Pro Shrimp Patties, Daphnia (Treats on weekends only, Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp)
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Pellets & Freeze Dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 day
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1.5 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Weird skin/missing scales?
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Aquarium Salt and will use IAL.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Maybe?
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not really

Fin Purple Textile Organism Fish

Water Plant Fish supply Pet supply Botany

Flower Plant Purple Leaf Petal

Nature Purple Organism Parrotfish Fish supply

Water Green Window Underwater Fin

·
Super Moderator
24,372 Posts
I've never figured out why some frown upon fish-in cycling. I've also never figured out why it's a bad thing to purchase from a big box store. The first is a matter of preference; the second a matter of opportunity. Not every has a breeder close and not everyone can afford $50+ for an online Betta and shipping.

I see nothing wrong with him. Certainly no infection. The missing scales is most probably genetic.

Just keep IAL in his tank. Don't add any antibiotics.

Sick fish are lethargic and stop eating. If they're not either of those they're fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never figured out why some frown upon fish-in cycling. I've also never figured out why it's a bad thing to purchase from a big box store. The first is a matter of preference; the second a matter of opportunity. Not every has a breeder close and not everyone can afford $50+ for an online Betta and shipping.

I see nothing wrong with him. Certainly no infection. The missing scales is most probably genetic.

Just keep IAL in his tank. Don't add any antibiotics.

Sick fish are lethargic and stop eating. If they're not either of those they're fine.
Thanks Russel! Can you guess an age? And will his color change/develop?

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
I agree! For what it’s worth, I never pre cycle my tanks. Even my 4 month old 55 gallon had fish in it as soon as it was set up. I find cycling to be so much easier that way.

I have a great relationship with the fish department manager at our petland. I often by fish from there as the fish store I like is almost an hour from me.

I think he’s already looking much better than the pic of him you posted in the cup. I’m sure he’s going to be just fine with a little TLC.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree! For what it’s worth, I never pre cycle my tanks. Even my 4 month old 55 gallon had fish in it as soon as it was set up. I find cycling to be so much easier that way.

I have a great relationship with the fish department manager at our petland. I often by fish from there as the fish store I like is almost an hour from me.

I think he’s already looking much better than the pic of him you posted in the cup. I’m sure he’s going to be just fine with a little TLC.
Thank you very much Sara 🥲💙🙏🏻

1 - 6 of 6 Posts