Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't quite ready to move everything over to the new 9gal but Jasper kept to one corner of the old one and then I noticed this strange stuff growing on a few things.
Not green on the glass, but fuzzy, greenish/white, and on the heaters esp. some on the chunk of driftwood I had in the 5gal - nothing on the glass.
I scrubbed everything down before I started to move it to the new tank but then I stopped as I realized it might not be 'just' algae.

The 'old' tank wasn't that old and the flow was kinda sub-par - in the photo you can see the very small holes for through water - the only one pulling from the bottom is block by that plant leaf of course. I would like to use this tank for another fish, but want to be sure its ok, or will be. And I don't want to recreate the issue in the new-new tank.

I didn't get a shot of the worst of it, but you can see the change in color. The driftwood reeked like something rotting so I didn't put it back in yet. Should I remove the moss balls? (Last shot is the new tank, and hopefully 'forever' home for Jasper, he's been moved enough)

What is this stuff?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Farewell short timer

Well, not sure it matters much now. On the advice of a fish friend expert who thought he should get the bigger tank asap, I moved him to the new tank. Which he apparently didn't like enough to try, and achieve, airborne success. He made it through a 1"x3" hole 2" up the fish tank side. He didn't make it far beyond that. I found him several feet from the tank this morning.

Really mad at myself for not listening to my gut and leaving him where he was, might have been algae or mold growing but I should have worked on that and left him in the smaller tank. He was doing physically fine otherwise.

Now I have 3 empty tanks of varying sizes mocking me.

So sorry Jasper, hope you're swimming free on the other side.

·
Super Moderator
19,467 Posts
So sorry about Jasper. You did what you thought was in his best interest. You were in a Catch-22: What if you had left him and there *is* something wrong in that tank and he died?

Not your fault.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So sorry about Jasper. You did what you thought was in his best interest. You were in a Catch-22: What if you had left him and there *is* something wrong in that tank and he died?

Not your fault.
Thank you. It's been a strange day for fish. He just seemed so happy in his 5gal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts