Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Momma
147.jpg

acouple babies(not sure how many there are yet)
these little bubs fell out of the nest when momma came out to eat:lol:
they were still latched on as she came out of the nest.
156.JPG

i didnt clean today so it is kind of a mess

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
eewww little naked babies :lol: I was glad guineas came out guineas :p But they aren't ugly :3 lil' pinkies.. But they do grow fast don't they? Lil' pink babies :3 I usually try cleaning around the nest, without mama attacking or being all uptight. (coming from someone who cleaned many rodent's cages with babies in it!)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:-D thanks
i just managed to do that about five minutes ago.
First five minutes was alittle tense but i moved alittle
slower then usual as Momma sniffed my hands and wandered about the tank
unless i accidently moved too fast and scared her into a corner.
Brushed up all the leftovers, gave the corners a light wash with a damp tissue
since all my rags were in the wash lol what luck? lol
She is a picky one compared to the other 5. so i was able to get some lab blocks to go with some seed and afew treats. She does like lettuce :-|
not offered too much.
Needless to say i got it tidier then before lol
She seemed to relax half way through.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
she doesn't like lettuce? nonsense! :lol:

Yeah I remember working in the store here... they had "feeder hamsters". Usually they are aggressive and you hope they don't bite you because they BITE! lol. Well one clambered into my hand, all friendly... And we were told nice ones can be taken out and sold <3 I took her out, day after she had babies, with TWO nests the silly thing... 9 babies, 2 nests, all survived O_O So I know how hard it is to clean hahaha... she followed my hand around, and I stayed away from the nest. But she did clamber into my hand :roll:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the kids were trying to talk me into a hamster but after that one bit me
i was definitely not going to get one atleast not until the kids are alot older.
as cute as they look i just dont feel they are for me lol
I did a pretty good job as far as im concerned lol and yes she did follow me sniffing my fingers as i scraped up some of the seeds she tossed aside all over the tank:shock:
Question: Is vitamin drops for gerbils and such good for them ? the mice?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think I am the only one with a tame hamster!! lol

I love little pinkies.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I had a tame hamster. He was cute!! then he became mean and grumpy. :roll: my cousins get all the good ones... they never bite, they wander the house like a dog, they beg for food LIKE A DOG xDD even hamsters I worked with, they all turned mean eventually asides from the beautiful breeder pair. Their babies were very friendly too - good genes = good animals xD

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used to work at an exotic animal shelter and they had rats with pinkies. One time I, being inexperienced, stuck my hand in to see the babies, and momma rat bit me!! She didn't pierce skin, so it must have just been a warning bite lol.

Congrats on the little boogers. They are adorable :-D :-D

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Aw:) Baby mice! Brings me back to when my sister used to breed them (as a hobby o_O) we had so many mice we didn't know what to do with them!!
Hamsters are a sossy rodent but I always had very tolerant syrians. I don't know about dwarf hams. RATS make a far better kid friendly pet than hamsters. More people need to know that.

Anyways, congrats on the babies. What are you doing with the babies?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you :-D

I hadnt really planned on having babies mice but a friend at a petstore asked me to take her because she didnt want to sell it as a feeder because she was close to having the babies, needless to say i took them.

I was thinking of raising them as pet mice and talked to the school my kids go to about having them there, well atleast one as a project.
I dont think i could give them up to be fed to anything lol
I know it will be hard to find homes for them but i have to try.
Im going to take Momma out for abit and spot clean the tank as well as check to see if they are male or female, IF she will let me :lol:

we will get into the rats once Im sure this place is going to be a permanent home so i can arrange one of the rooms into a proper animal room.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
If your school agrees to take one, send 2 of the same gender. Males smell so I suggest 2 females :) There are some good online diagrams on how to sex them!

Also, if you had no experience with the popcorn stage, they're like little kangraoos!!! and pop everywhere, even out of your hand. Little spazzes. I miss having mice but I don't miss the cage cleanings!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My grandfather used to breed rabbits and my pet rabbit had a litter of five bouncy baby bunnies. I mean bouncing literally. Popcorn is an apt description. :lol:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol. yes i have read about the popcorn stage on the fun mouse site
so far it has been the main site i go to for information. I have also been watching videos from CreekValleyCritters on youtube, stu, mattie, quasi, and evelyn are so cute :-D lol
I havent checked the babies yet but did alittle tidying up. Heard tiny squeaking as she shuffled around inside the nest. Dying to have a closer look :lol:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
CreekValleyCritters is my FAVOURTIE! lol I'm subscribed. :-D

·
Registered
560 Posts
My dad says i have to keep my room clean for a month/ turn in my homework a ton and do extra credit.

little does he know i'll do it after school starts :twisted:
:crazy:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You're making me want mice even more...

I loved the little mouse I used to have, and seeing them and the rats at work makes me want a couple again (which is a no-go for a while). Alas, eventually...

On the hamster front: the only ones I really trust at work are the Chinese Dwarves and the Robo Dwarves -- the Syrians and the Russian Dwarves (the Russians especially) I don't as too often they're ready, and willing, to bite. The Chinese and Robos, it doesn't even seem to cross their minds to try and bite. Though, there is currently one "fluffy" Syrian that will let me pet her a bit without any fuss.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts