Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I found pics of my first betta! They're blurry and more than ten years old, but here they are!
DSC01278.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01279.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

I know, I know, he's in a bowl and a dirty one at that. I had no idea what I was doing!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing ever!

Not my picture.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sunspot just shredded his tail all up :( I'm guessing maybe it's from the plants? I have silk petco plants but there's a plasticky thing on one that I'm guessing is the culprit. None of my fish have had a problem with it before. I'm going to chop it off, do a WC tomorrow (Last one I did was saturday) and add some API stress... something.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
StressGuard is the one that I think everyone recommends.

Reactions: moodynarwhal

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I know, but my petco doesn't carry it. They keep their fish in good condition, but their supplies kinda suck. I may add some rooibos or decaf green tea for tannins too. I don't have any IAL either. :( I should probably order some.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You can use wood for tannins. I buy a tiny piece of it whenever I need tannins since I can't order IAL. Just leave the DW to soak in the tnak for a few days ('till the water is the "shade of brown" you like) then take it out to preserve some tannins.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Would drift wood found on the bank of a river work? I have some of that.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sunspot's tail healed really really fast! I'm so glad! It only looks a little nibbled now instead of shredded.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Sorry I didn't respond, I'm having troubles with the site.

Driftwood should work, but you need to boil it first. That gets rid of lots of tannins. You also need to make sure that it is not softwpod.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks! I'm having problems too, so "Like' lol Sunspot has healed really well without the tannins, but thanks for the info, I'll probably need it some day!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sunspot just died. He had all the signs of an aging betta, he turned brown, stopped eating, just lied around. It was over the course of a week. SIP Sunspot.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Now Raspberry is dead. I don't know why! First I thought it was possibly velvet, because he looked sort of gold flecked, but I thought he always looked like that. Anyway, I raised the temp. some, did a WC, added some AQ salt, and covered the tank up. He was dead when I woke up. I had him for a year and a half and he'd been showing some signs of aging, but he was perfectly fine yesterday morning. Do you think it was velvet? Does it kill in six hours? I've added some AQ salt Onyx's tank just in case. He's my only betta now. If he gets sick I may give up fishkeeping for a while. I'm going to the petstore today, going to get a better heater and some medicine just in case. I won't add any meds to the tank unless he seems sick, I'm only buying it as a precaution, he seems fine right now. I really can't let him get sick. One thing I'm wondering though, is that while Sunspot just showed signs of old age over the course of a few days, Raspberry declined within six hours. He was still eating last time I fed him. I don't know what's going on.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
OMG! I'm SO sorry you lost Sunspot and Raspberry so suddenly! I wish I could help you figure out what happened, but I'm at a loss. Did you happen to get any pictures of them?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah but they both look totally normal in the pics. I went to petsmart and got some stuff called lifeguard as a preventative, the worker there actually seemed very knowledgeable, so hopefully Onyx won't catch whatever they had. He still seems fin, about to do a WC and add the lifeguard.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Okay, I added the lifeguard *Please work please work please work*

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Onyx is still going strong! I'm so happy I still have him. I've been thinking what to do with the five gallon, I thought I might divide it and get two bettas, but I may just get one. I like them having a lot of space. I may also consider some ADF. I have a question too: Has anyone kept a couple of guppies in a five gal? was it succesful?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I know I said somewhere I was going to wait a while, but I caught the betta bug again so here's my newest guy!
samia pics 287.jpg

samia pics 288.jpg

samia pics 289.jpg

samia pics 290.jpg

samia pics 294.jpg

His name is Strawberry Cheesecake, but I just call him Cheesecake. He's a doubletail, my first one. He's in the five gallon. I don't think I'm going to put anything in the 2.5 gallon. I'm still planning on getting a sorority! I want to get a black crowntail and call her Dagger.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Strawberry Cheesecake! Awwwww! The name fits him. Beautiful boy! :) I've never owned a doubletail, they're very pretty though, if I must say! Definitely will be looking into getting one when I get another betta!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts