Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've always had mopani wood in my tanks...think it's neat....a drag to cure sometimes but a nice visual addition.

Found a neat little piece at the lfs, boiled it for an hour or two not a lot of tannin in it and popped in Bob's tank. First day the tank clouded up, did a major water change. Bob was not a happy camper:|.

Later that day I did a 100% water change and pulled out the Mopani wood (and just about everything else as I was sure what the problem was).

Bob's exhausted with all the transfers BUT today the water is clear even after I added in most plants, etc. other then the mopani wood. Hurray...Bob is happy again:roll:.

Never had that issue with mopani wood. Sometimes a little tea colored water but never like this. Thought I'd post in case 1) people need to be aware or 2) if anyone has had this experience and knows what the problem is.

Thank you all for your help,
Lynn aka rookielynn

·
Registered
490 Posts
It isn't uncommon for mopani wood to have a... fungus? It should die off eventually, but until then it grows a slimy puffy white substance on the wood and may possibly cloud the water. You can remove the wood to scrub the substance off, but it will just likely come back. I believe you'd have to boil it for an extended period to kill it off initially, longer than a few hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Briz, Thanks for the info. I didn't note anything on the wood ...BUT maybe I caught in time before it developed. I'll try boiling for several more hours and see if that does the trick and then try it solo (no bettas) to see if it clouds up the water again.

Lynn

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Actually you really can't get rid of the fungus that grows on it. Well you can, but it will grow back until the bio-film takes over and eats up the fungus or something like that. It's a natural process that has to occur and you can't stop it, only delay it but there's no point in trying to delay it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts