Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which betta has the most delicate tail? My halfmoon has been getting small rips in his tail and I was curious

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Poorly bred HMs are the WORST. I can never keep their fins nice. That's why I own mostly plakats lol.

Basically any long fin betta will have more issues with their fins and activity levels because they have all that extra baggage to carry around.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poorly bred HMs are the WORST. I can never keep their fins nice. That's why I own mostly plakats lol.

Basically any long fin betta will have more issues with their fins and activity levels because they have all that extra baggage to carry around.
I will think of getting the plakats next. :) But yeah, he is an active little boy flaring at everything that moves and I took out everything that could snag his fins

·
Registered
76 Posts
My HM is always making some rips in his fins. All of the fins are well over an inch and doesn't seem to effect him much he still is happy and active as normal.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I would say HM or VT since they tend to become tail bitters more then short finned ones.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My HM is always making some rips in his fins. All of the fins are well over an inch and doesn't seem to effect him much he still is happy and active as normal.
Its about a quarter of an inch long, but he seems completely normal and not bothered

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think I am done with long donned unless it was from a reputable breeder. I like plakats as they tend to have fewer problems.

I would say any long donned Betta, though veils have it tough because theirs droop down already so it kind of weights their body downward. Also with all the fins you need a light filter or a baffled filter, their tails act like sails.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am done with long donned unless it was from a reputable breeder. I like plakats as they tend to have fewer problems.

I would say any long donned Betta, though veils have it tough because theirs droop down already so it kind of weights their body downward. Also with all the fins you need a light filter or a baffled filter, their tails act like sails.
I love your avatar, are those betta's? :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
HM or VT, I think. My one VT his tail doubled his body length. He trims it back quite often so he can swim :) My two newbies, Red and Skull have shorter VT fins that are shaped lovely, so I doubt I will have a problem with them. Some VT and HM just have heavy tails.... or long tails like Crayola did. They maim it, or plants will :/

·
Registered
575 Posts
I havnt seen any lfs near me that sell plakats :( I do love my delta boyo though and would'nt swap him for anything. He fins are quite thick though I've noticed. His bottom fin (sorry can't remember what it's called) is about an inch long when flared and his tail is over an inch! His dorsal is about the same! Cellophane betta's look the more delicate.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I had a cellophone and he was delicate -.- even gentle plants snagged him D:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts