Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, IMOMM here. You can call me Jen if you like.

I have only been a fish mom since late September 2016, and just lost my handsome boy yesterday. Mr Maple was a bright red veiltail, bought at my local Petsmart. Not sure exactly what happened to him, as he had been fine for months before suddenly refusing to eat, and having trouble breathing. Came home from class to find him un-responsive, and no longer breathing. RIP buddy.

Anyway. My current tank set up was basically designed to spoil him. It is a cycled 3 gallon (I live in a dorm, and can't keep anything larger), half-moon shaped plastic tank. It has a filter, small heater (recently changed as the last one had been giving out w/o my knowledge, and may have contributed to Maple's death), live marimo moss ball, several plastic plants, and a leaf hammock. Before getting my next fish, I plan to add an air stone, as well as looking into silk plants.

I don't really know how these forums work, so I hope someone reads this and can answer my question;

So, my first question would be; how does one clean a tank after a dead fish, without disrupting the cycle, if possible. The fish was in the tank less than 2 hours after death if that helps, and I had done a 2/3 water change the day before while trying to help him.

Also, if I upload pictures of my dead fish before burying him, might anyone be able to tell me what killed him? (Just curious, and wanting to make sure it is not contagious to a new fish).

IMOMM out!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,594 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts