Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my last thread was about keeping my female in the living room in a 1 gal Minibow or moving her to an unfiltered 5 gal. Well I was able to find a filter from a previous setup of mine and now she's in a marineland 5 gal with a tetra whisper filter and a silk plant, lantern ornament, and Marimo moss with black gravel and it looks great and she has so much more space! Pic below (sorry if it's upside down). But why do some stores recommend tanks that are so small? My mom actually asked why don't I just have her in a cup because they just swim around and don't need that much space! Like they're ingraining this falseness into people that fish don't need filtration and space and it's frustrating!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, it's unfortunate all the myths that surround Betta's but good on you for upgrading her! The only thing I suggest is more plants!! Yes, Betta's like the space but they also need shade and plants to feel comfortable ^_^ They're made for slipping between plants so you can never have enough! Also, the more plants you have, the healthier she'll be because she'll be much less stressed which means less disease for you to have to worry about in the end! yay!

Eventually, when you can--I know we aren't all made of money of course, your tank should look a little something like this! You don't have to go this extreme, but your little girl would adore it! So much space to explore and new things to find! It'd keep her occupied all day :-D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yay! With all that new space she'll probably enjoy having more plants to explore in later. I love how she stands out against the dark gravel and decor. =)

Thanks to all the "betta tanks" (aka tiny prisons) that are marketed... People are used to seeing a .5g cube or bowl with a fish in it on the box... "PERFECT for bettas", the box claims. If only they knew the reality of how fast the water gets dirty in such a small "tank". 5g is much easier to maintain than 1g...

It is true that a fish can feel vulnerable if their large tank is too bare, or it could be too deep for the individual fish, or has too much filter flow for a betta with large fins. But fish are the same as most other creatures; they like space and plenty of things to explore. It's baffling that people don't "get it", but then again people also pick breeds of dog that aren't at all the right fit for their home/yard/schedule. Way too many dogs aren't properly taken care of or given the exercise and engagement they require. If half of humanity can't even get fellow mammals figured out, it's no wonder that fish are so poorly housed.

Of course many people only see fish as decorations, which is even more horrible than just being a misinformed pet owner. The fact that bettas "fit" in such tiny cups make them perfect for that splash of color your coffee table needs. Ugh.

Reactions: BettaBeau
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.