Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Yesterday I bought my betta a 27 Litre tank (7.1g). I am planning to switch him over today.
My question is would I be able to take him out of his old tank and leave him in a jar while I put his old water + new in his new tank, set that up and let that heat up? Would the water in his jar lose all the heat by the time his new water heats up? So would I then have to leave him in his jar and put him in the new tank and get him accustom to the heat?
I'm not sure of the best way to move him so any tips would be appreciated! I am also thinking of getting him some friends, would the tank I bought him be big enough to put a few neon tetras in?
Thank you to anyone for your help! :)

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
There's no need to return the old water to the new tank.

You can mix hot and cold water in the tap until it reaches two or three degrees above the current tank temperature. Put the unplugged heater in the new tank. Wait 15 minutes to plug it in to give the thermostat time to adjust.

Turn your boy loose in his new home. You can float him for 10 minutes or so before releasing.

Tank mates are a whole 'nother subject. Post a photo of the finished tank so we can tell you if it is tank mate friendly or what you need to do to make it so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you soooo much! I went ahead and set up his new tank, he's floating in it as I speak :D
Im such a worried mother when it comes to him I just don't want to do anything that's going to hurt him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There's a photo of his set up.
I'm going to buy some more gravel and bigger plants when I get a chance!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
We all fear mistakes but after you've done this for a while you realize sometimes no matter how careful you are it happens. You do the best you can and that's all anyone, including the fish, can ask.

Personally, without a whole lot more planting I wouldn't add Neon to that tank. The plants are as much to keep the Betta from being nipped as it is to keep the other fish from being chased. BTW, you really don't need more gravel unless you would like the look better or you are getting live plants. Speaking of which, if you can find Anubias it is a great plant to let float. Provides shade and is easy, easy, easy as it is low light and doesn't require fertilizers.

If I were to add fish to that tank I would add 6-12 Habrosus, Pygmy or Hastus Cory. They are tiny and unobtrusive. I love mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts