Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am moving up North for a new job, and will be driving about 16.5 hours to get to my new place in a week and a half (getting the job was unexpected and it all happened very suddenly). I plan to break the journey into a 6.5 and a 10 hour day with an overnight at a cabin with heat and power (for betta heaters) in the middle. I'm excited about that move because my future landlord says aquariums are fine and I can have any size or type of set-up I want (unlike my current landlords (the parents)) so Kappa Sushi and the Jacquescleans will be upgrading from a 5gal npt to a 30 gal npt (big change!). But that's off topic.

The question is: How do I move my 5 gal NPT, Kappa and the Jacquescleans? I can't be the first user in this forum to have made such a drastic move over such a long period of time (1200 km or about 750 miles)?

I also have a micro npt (1/2 gal that is my shrimp breeding bowl (or would be if I could get any of the females I place in it to survive more than one night with Waldo, the Jacquesclean who hides in 1/2 gal of glass and plants lol)) which I plan on capping with saran and elastics, which could act as temporary housing for Kappa. I'm reluctant to drain 1/2 of the tank water in the 5gal because I fear it might splash out on the long journey, or slosh around and smash Kappa against the rocks or glass. But I would like to hear others' suggestions and/or experiences with long hauls and bettas, so please, enlighten me!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Put all fish in bags and a poly box. Heatpack if you think its going to get cold. Empty your tanks, put them in the car and youre good to go. Gravel/ plants etc can go in bags too, rocks in a box or on the floor where they cant break things.
Bettas survive days in tiny bags, they will be fine with a 16 hour journey

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would just double bag every creature than color the last bag black, to relieve stress. Get some home depot buckets and use one for gravel and one for rocks, driftwood, and plants. KEEP EVERYTHING WET, and you should be all good.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I like tankman's suggestion with the black bags. After you bag them (make sure you trap LOTS of air in the top of the bag), then place in them in a box, if you can find a Styrofoam box then use that. If you can't then just insulate a cardboard box with foam/styofoam. Next, if it cold where you are going or you are going to have the AC on in the car then tape a heating pad that is made for aquarium transportation onto the lid of the box. When you back the bags, put blankets or bubblewrap or packing peanuts around the bags to keep the bags from moving around. Then close up the box.

When you are at your overnight place, open the box and open the bags to let some fresh air in. If the water is clean (you do not have to do this), the change out some of the water (make sure you acclimate him well).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. That helps a bunch. Where can I find heat packs? It gets down below zero at might and Kappa's used to 78f so I'd rather keep him toasty (and stable) than not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts