Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many gallons is your tank? Right now he is in a about 3 gallon bowl soon he will hopefully be in a 20 gallon tank soon with a heater and filter
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? no he is by the wood stove
What temperature is your tank? I do not know
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? I do not know
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? about 7 days
What percentage of water did you change? all
What is the source of your water? are well we live where there is no chlorine
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? I have Indian almond laves

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 6.2
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? yes not really swimming that much
Is your Betta still eating? not really
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? he has got fish fungi's before
How long have you owned your Betta? about 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's hard to say what is going on with him without knowing what the water parameters but a couple things. Do you have a meat thermometer? Wood stoves can give off a lot of heat, he may be too cold. Has anything changed with his care? Has it always been well water? Also, has he always had so much red in his face?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to say what is going on with him without knowing what the water parameters but a couple things. Do you have a meat thermometer? Wood stoves can give off a lot of heat, he may be too cold. Has anything changed with his care? Has it always been well water? Also, has he always had so much red in his face?
It is kinda hard to tell of the red in his face has changed because they water has Indian Almond leaf in it (I just changed the water yesterday).
Thanks for you help and concern!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The tempeture is 62 degrees
That’s really cold. I’m not really sure what a good solution for gradually raising the temp but I’m sure someone will chime in with an idea. You wouldn’t want to raise it too quickly. When are you getting your heater?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s really cold. I’m not really sure what a good solution for gradually raising the temp but I’m sure someone will chime in with an idea. You wouldn’t want to raise it too quickly. When are you getting your heater?
would a
10W be good?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It would but I’m not sure if it would raise the temp too rapidly....I’m also not certain that’s the problem but it’s worth a try. 10w isn’t super strong tho.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would get one that is adjustable so you can ease the temp up slowly. Maybe an adjustable 50w? I have 50w in all 3 of my 3 gallon tanks and they do an ok job. The red on his face looks like maybe stress stripes to me but I can’t be sure. Maybe @RussellTheShihTzu has a better idea? If you are going to buy a heater can you also get a test kit or take in a water sample?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would get one that is adjustable so you can ease the temp up slowly. Maybe an adjustable 50w? I have 50w in all 3 of my 3 gallon tanks and they do an ok job. The red on his face looks like maybe stress stripes to me but I can’t be sure. Maybe @RussellTheShihTzu has a better idea? If you are going to buy a heater can you also get a test kit or take in a water sample?
by the way thank you so much I rely appreciate your advise!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this morning he ate so thats good. I put him in my room and turned up the heat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, it has always been well water.

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts