Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't have any experience with that specific heater so I can't really say but it's worth a try. Make sure you submerge the heater in water for 30 minutes before you plus it in. I would also raise the water temp very slowly, like over the course of a few days make tiny adjustments until the temp reads between 78-80. I am no pro that would just be what I would do.
okay

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
The good news is he doesn't have stress stripes.

It is possible he is suffering from long-term cold temperature exposure. Was he like the photo in Post #4 until a day or two ago? Or has appearance been slowly changing? He could be up to 2.5 years old which is getting on up there for today's Betta. This means what you are seeing are signs of old age. For his appetite, you could try soaking his food for a few second in garlic juice or get him some frozen Bloodworms.

What is the temperature now that he's in another room? You can safely raise the temperature one degree every 2-3 hours.

As far a parameters, until you can budget in a test kit you can take a water sample to most pet stores for testing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The issue is most likely cold temperature shock based off your incredibly low temperature reading. In your case it can be deadly. Temperature shock is when your betta gets too hot or worm. Their ideal temperature is between 78-80°F. However, they can survive in temperatures as warm as 85°F and as cold as 76°F. In other words it will most likely die at 56 degrees fahrenheit specified temperature. Make sure that the temperature is NOT being raised to quickly as this is not good for your betta. I would recommend adding hot water to a bag and floating it in your tank or bringing it to a warm part of your house or a heat source like a fireplace. You could also slowly exchange the tank water for warmer water from the faucet(treat it of course). After the temperature is within an acceptable range you need to go to the pet store and by something like a 10 Watt heater. If it is more convenient buy a product with some reasonably fast shipping off of amazon(forget about it if you don't have prime). Just so you know you should probably change the water a little more often or get a filter. You also might want to upgrade to a five gallon tank like this one which includes a filter with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The good news is he doesn't have stress stripes.

It is possible he is suffering from long-term cold temperature exposure. Was he like the photo in Post #4 until a day or two ago? Or has appearance been slowly changing? He could be up to 2.5 years old which is getting on up there for today's Betta. This means what you are seeing are signs of old age. For his appetite, you could try soaking his food for a few second in garlic juice or get him some frozen Bloodworms.

What is the temperature now that he's in another room? You can safely raise the temperature one degree every 2-3 hours.

As far a parameters, until you can budget in a test kit you can take a water sample to most pet stores for testing.
was he like the photo in Post #4 until a day or two ago? no I think his appearance has been slowly changing.

·
Registered
Yogi
128 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts