Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zucco started out with fin rot, a very mild case of clamping on his dorsal, and I had no idea it was a bad thing. I got him from my sister with it...she got him from petco so I'm sure he had it initially. I've had him a little over a year, and it's gotten worse. He's tattered, holey crusty, and now he's developed a coppery sheen that doesn't really look like the velvet pictures I've seen. I don't know what to do, but I'm unwilling to give up. Please help me save my buddy.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Currently a 5g hospital tank. Originally, 10.
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Cories in the 10. Nothing in the 5

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top fin and new life thera plus. Occasionally frozen brine.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried or frozen? both
Live?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? twice a day, only a few pellets-3

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform water changes? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25
What additives do you use? just water conditioner. Now salt, stress coat.
What brand name of water conditioner? api

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH):?
Alkalinity (KH):4 drops

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When I got him last summer. Just didn't realize he was sick.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are tattered and holey, he's got white crust on one hole. He's got a coppery sheen almost like paint, but it's more collected around his gills, fin base, and under belly. I think he's getting bloated, and his eyes are getting bulgy. The red streaks in his fins have gotten brighter, but they look like his normal coloring as opposed to the septicemia...at least I'm hoping.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's still active. Occasionally, he looks antsy. He will wiggle a bit more than usual.
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? ugh! we started with 1/2t per gallon salt and 1/2t melafix. That did help a bit. His fins unclamped. We went through a cycle of maracyn 2 which did nothing. We went through a cycle of tetracycline. The first day of that, I noticed the white crust dissipating a bit, but then it came right back. I think my water was too alkaline for the tc. I've just started him on kanaplex and paraguard. I decided that since nothing is working, he's gonna die if I don't treat him aggressively. We did one full round of kanaplex in the water. Now I've got him eating it with his food. This will be his second day of eating it. I'm doing a half cap of paraguard in the water once a day (4 days).
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Nothing more than clamped fins so far as I know.
How long have you owned your Betta? About a year. My sister owned him before I did.
Was he or she a rescue? Nope
Was he or she ill when bought or given? Mild fin clamping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics

I've included multiple pictures of him here. I've circled the gold spots, the holes, the white crust, and there is one basic pic. It's really hard to get pictures of him because he doesn't like the camera. These are the best I could do.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.