Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two bettas, Murderface and Angelface. (If you ask my mom about my fish, their names are Galileo and Aristotle, respectively, since she hates the names I chose. :lol:)

Murderface I acquired two years ago, from Petsmart. I wasn't INTENDING to go home with a fish that day, but I was with a friend helping him pick up supplies for his aquarium, and he was also getting a new betta setup. While we were looking at the bettas together, I found Murderface, and knew I couldn't let anyone else have him. We were meant to be. So needless to say I went home that day with a fish, a one gallon, food, a hideaway cave, a betta leaf, and some plastic plants (which I quickly learned were awful and tossed out of the tank).

Murderface has been with me since, is quite the sassy personality, and loves to watch me work and cook in the kitchen. During water changes he used to get very mad at me for moving him around, and would shun me for the rest of the day. How does a fish shun its owner, you ask? Well, typically whenever I enter the room, he is excited to see me, and recognizes me immediately. He will follow me along the sides of his tank as I work. However, if he is mad at me, the SECOND he sees me come into the room and sees that I have seen him, he rushes into his cave and makes sure his back is to me every single time. What a jerk, right? I'm currently treating him as he got sick, so wish him a speedy recovery. His photo is from when I first got him.

As for Murderface's coloring, does anyone know of any specific genetics that causes that unique black spot in his tail? He is royal blue 96% (that's me guesstimating), with some beautiful rich ruby red bleeding into the blue in his ventral and anal fins. That coloring alone is not very unique, but combined with his beautiful finnage and the black spot, I found him particularly charming. I have not SINCE seen any bettas with black spots in their fins (that wasn't caused by sickness, obviously), either in the stores or online. I would actually love to breed him and reproduce it, but I have to see how he recovers from his sickness and even then I would have a LOT of prep to do for breeding, so that's really just a pipe dream for now.

Angelface I picked up about two weeks ago. Hadn't been planning to get a SECOND betta, ever, because I love Murderface... but I saw this one in the store and the same thing happened when I met Murderface, I knew he had to come home with me. I passed him up for two days before I couldn't take it anymore and rushed to get him, and luckily, he was still there.

Angelface has what I find to be particularly unique coloring; he looks a blue sky with clouds in it. I am reading that he might be a "Grizzle" color type? I have never heard of this, and was assuming he was a Marble type. He is a mixture of ivory and sky blue but also has a lovely, pearly iridescence that I don't think I managed to capture in the photos.

I tried to get good pictures of him, but he was very active. I'll try to get some better pictures later. Murderface was always eager to pose for me and flare for the camera, but Angelface could care less.

If he is in fact a "Grizzle", I feel like I got him for a steal at $15 hidden among a bunch of lavender, red, and cellophane spawn at Petco. I also lucked out with Murderface in a similar manner; I got him for $8 at Petsmart a couple years ago, as opposed to the common $15 at LPS for DT HM bettas you see nowadays, because they hadn't yet caught on to upping the pricing for the fancier bettas, and had just started offering something BESIDES veil tails for the first time ever.

Well, I hope you enjoy looking at my boys as much as I do!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen other betta's with big singular spots, I found a good one here on a quick google search:

Is it possible it's just marbling? (very slight obv)

Both are beautiful fish!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, that one does look very similar, but I'm not sure if Murderface is the same, since he seems to sport a majority of royal blue solid with just a little bit of red in his ventrals and anal fin, and without the black spot, would look identical to most other royal blues that had red bled into their blue coloring.

It's funny though, I can't search for images about him, because when you try to search for things like "betta with black spot" it thinks you're asking about sick bettas.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
As for Angelface - I think his color type may depend on if his color changes at all in his time with you. He may be a grizzle, he may be a marble. He looks an awful lot like a marbled betta to me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are marbles generally iridescent? He is actually iridescent with a lovely aqua/pink/pearl sheen, which my phone camera failed entirely to catch. So he's not actually just a flat sky blue and white. That is why I suspected grizzle. I will try to get better pictures of him with my actual digital camera once he is is settled in his large tank and I have better photo opportunities. While I think it would be cool if he was grizzle, I don't really mind either way. He's gorgeous.

Edit: I should note, his patterning hasn't changed yet since I got him... I was just reading how marbles apparently change pattern throughout their lives? That's kind of cool. Would kind of be like "moving clouds" on his body!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Haha - I can promise you that *MY* marble is incredibly irridescent. As I understand it, they come in almost any possible colors.

As for color changes, some change fast, some change slow. I think you can have marbles that might not change much at all. My guy looked like a completely different fish in 2 weeks, so he's on the "fast change" side. (He started off black and white....that lasted like...2 days.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neat. I did not know these things. I'm a huge fan of genetics and while I've done some research on betta genetics I've by NO means covered everything (still got my nose down in the basics of their particular gene crossing patterns), there's so much to learn. I'm still learning a lot about the colors and patterns, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.